Sunday, May 18, 2008
More updates
Evelyn continues to improve slowly (but, we hope, surely). She's been off of the heater for two days now and doing well maintaining her body temperature. Her bilirubin levels were high again today, so she may be going back under the flourescent lights again, but hopefully not for too long. Her biggest stumbling block so far is feeding--she will typically nurse whenever I go in to try and feed her (for those of you who are curious, we're on a schedule where I feed her four times a day and, since they like to stagger their feedings--back to back feedings tend to exhaust preemies--I'm going to the hospital at 7 am, 10 am, 4 pm, and 10 pm). She just isn't eating as much as we'd like: she needs to be regularly eating 75% of what the doctors think she needs (right now, 47 ml of milk per feeding) before they will let us go to the next stage, which is a 12 hour on-demand feeding, where I spend twelve consecutive hours at the hospital and feed her whenever she is hungry. If that goes well, then I get to stay at the hospital for a full 24 hours a day. If Evelyn can nurse well for 48 hours, then we get to take her home. But, as you can see, we still have several days (at the least) ahead of us. As always, your good wishes and prayers are greatly appreciated!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I feel for you two, I know how physically and mentally draining that is. When Morgan was born we spent two weeks going to the hospital every three hours. She wouldn't eat most of the time, but we had to try for a while then insert it using a syringe and a tube in her nose. We were so exhausted but she finally came home. We wish your family the best and hope she gets to go home soon.
sounds like she's progressing well! Hang in there during this tough time, we're thinking of you!
Szépen fejlődik !
Post a Comment