Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I dream of . . . milk?

Two nights ago, I was awakened shortly after midnight by a plaintive little voice at the foot of our bed crying, "I need some milk!" It was, of course, Andrew, out for his first ever mid-night romp (he's been remarkably good about staying in his bed during the night since we moved him to his toddler bed). I put him back in his bed, but he was still insistent on milk. And, sleep deprived as I was, I was willing to do anything to get him to stop whining and go back to sleep. So I stumbled through the dark to the kitchen, found a clean sippy cup, got some milk, and went back to my child. Who was sound asleep. So I stumbled back to the kitchen to put the milk away and decided that, since I was up, I might as well pump. Half an hour later, as I was getting into bed again, I heard once more the plaintive, "Milk?" I'm sure if my mental processes had been functioning better, I would have thought some not-so-nice things. At any rate, I got up once more and checked on Andrew, who was, of course, sound asleep. At least now I know what he dreams about!

And speaking of milk (which I seem to be doing a lot lately, since that's Evelyn's number one struggle right now), Andrew watched me avidly this morning while I was pumping. Shortly after I finished, I noticed him wandering around with an empty container for the baby's milk, a small bowl, and dragging the hose of his toy vacuum cleaner. I asked him what he was doing. He informed me (in the kind of voice that suggested this should be obvious) that he was pumping milk. When I asked how it was going, he told me (rather sadly) that he couldn't get any milk out. (Thank goodness!)

Evelyn seems to be doing well today. Her bilirubin levels were up again, so she's still under the flourescent jaundice lights, but the nurses told me that levels typically rise until about the fifth day after birth (which for her would be tomorrow) before responding to treatment. And she's finally starting to wake up a little for her feedings, which means that I was able to get her to latch on and nurse three times today (although not for very long). Still, it was encouraging progress.

No comments: