Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Big Brother

We've spent a quiet couple of days adjusting to the new addition to our family circle. (I'd forgotten how exhausting newborns can be--no matter how charming! I don't think humans are physically meant to wake up after only an hour or two of sleep at a time.) Andrew seems to be doing surprisingly well--no jealous tantrums yet--but perhaps that's because Evelyn spends most of her time sleeping, when she's not eating. And Andrew doesn't seem to mind the time it takes me to feed her, probably because he has free reign in the room and is beginning to realize that, while I tell him to shut the refrigerator or put something back, there's really nothing I can do about that immediately. His only real sign of trauma was a big meltdown yesterday, where he told me rather tearfully (and somewhat incoherently) that he wanted to go stay at the Bean Museum (which he calls the "buseum"). I think he might have been influenced by a rather funny little book we have where the prospective older brother announces to his mother that he's going to run away when the baby comes. At any rate, when he finally stopped sobbing, he seemed more reconciled to staying with us. And for the most part he seems to like being a big brother, although I live in mortal terror of Andrew deciding he needs to pick Evelyn up out of her crib on his own, or, alternately, deciding he's done holding her and dumping her off his lap (which has nearly happened on more than one occasion) before I'm ready to retrieve her.

For your delectation, some pictures and a video. The pictures of Evelyn aren't too good, and she hardly seems to move in the video (she could almost be a doll except that her eyes move), but I thought Andrew was pretty funny.



5 comments:

Sara said...

Pierce was 20 months old when Erin was born, and I spent many hours stressing over what he would do! I'm sure we had some near catastrophes, but what I remember now is how much he wanted to be with her and do what she was doing (i.e. he would strip down every time I bathed her.) It was so sweet! Looking at your photos reminded me of how precious the brother-sister bond is. Your little ones are cute!!

Megan, John and kids said...

It's amazing how patient those little babies can be with older siblings. Andrew seems to be doing pretty well with her. But I know the feeling of anxiety. You never know when they'll lash out against the baby, or, get bored and just drop her. Good luck, it is so exhausting having a newborn. Just remember that this too shall pass.

megandjon said...

these are so great rosalyn! what a pair of cuties! i'm glad evelyn is doing so well.

also, i've FINALLY gotten to my blog, so feel free to stop by! i've got to figure out a way to do it more often like you do!

Ferenc és Mária said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ferenc és Mária said...

Evelyn piciny életének nagy
részét még valóban alvással és evéssel tölti, Andrew hozzáállása
a dolgokhoz igazán testvéri.
Nagyon aranyosak vagytok !
Jó egészséget mindkettőtöknek !