Sunday, May 04, 2008

beans, boys, buzz

Since I don't appear to remember much of anything that happened between our last post on Tuesday and the onset of the weekend, I'll try to just hit one or two highlights and proceed with a description of the week's more recent events.

Wednesday was a big day for our family: Dan started teaching his first chemistry class, an introductory level class at BYU. He has about forty students at his mercy. Unfortunately, the class starts at 8 a.m., which meant that Dan wanted to be on campus close to 7, which meant that I actually had to get up when Andrew did. (Something I've been strenuously resisting the past few months). That actually wasn't that difficult on Wednesday, since neither Dan nor I slept well the night before (anticipation of change and all that), but it was much harder on Friday when the process was repeated. So far, Dan's class seems to be going well and Dan seems to enjoy it, which is a good thing, since teaching is ostensibly what he wants to do with the rest of his life!

On Thursday, Andrew and I pulled out a CD ("Watch Me Sing") that his Collings' cousins, Julia and Emi, gave him (for either his birthday or Christmas, I don't remember which). The first time we listened to the CD, Andrew wasn't all that interested, so I'd put it aside for a while. I think now that my mistake was in not helping him go through the motions encouraged by the songs, since, when we tried it out again Thursday, Andrew *loved* it. Here's a lovely little video of us practicing our pirouettes in time to one of the pieces. I think I look a little bit like the hippo ballerinas from Disney's Fantasia, but Andrew cracks me up. At least I got my exercise that day!



This weekend brought an unusual change in our routine: Dan took Andrew down to Cedar City with his sister Sarah and Sarah's son Jake, while I stayed in Provo. Originally, I had planned to go down with them, but decided that, with just over 5 weeks to go in my pregnancy, I didn't really want to sit in the car for that long. Besides, one of my good friends was getting married on Saturday, and I wanted to attend her reception. (Really, though, I think it was the lure of two mornings of uninterrupted sleep that I couldn't resist!). At any rate, both visits appear to have been successful: I was able to indulge myself in some shopping, reading, quilting, etc. that I definitely would not have done with Andrew around, and I got to catch up a little with some old friends at the reception. As penance, however, I did have to teach Dan's Sunday School class today. (And on a perhaps unrelated note, I managed my first true feat of pregnancy clumsiness today--I wore some silly shoes to church and managed to turn my ankle on the way to the chapel, which meant a rather inelegant spill on the sidewalk. Luckily, nothing much seems hurt except my dignity.)

Dan and Andrew's trip was much more eventful. Andrew and Jake apparently had a great time playing together (and harrassing each other, but I suppose the two go together). They spent quite some time playing a game that Jake invented, called "square golf"--I'm not sure exactly what that entails (apparently, neither did Andrew), but they enjoyed it all the same.




Andrew was quite excited at the prospect of visiting Bubby and Poppy--he told my dad before he left that he was going down to Bubby's house because he had to help Bubby in her garden. Sadly, since all they had going in the garden was onions, the boy was left without scope for his garden fetish. (I'm sure his Grandma Patti will give him plenty of opportunity to get dirty, however). Actually, Andrew was so excited to go that he had his Nemo backpack all packed on Thursday, and Friday, it was all I could do to get him to take a nap. As soon as he woke up, I heard a little voice from his bedroom saying excitedly, "I'm all ready to go!"

Saturday morning, Bubby took the grandkids (and their respective parents) to watch the procession before SUU's graduation. While there, they ran into Aunt Karen and Uncle Phil, who were there to watch Dan's cousin Tony (who was getting his MBA), and Tony's wife Jaye and their son Vince. Bubby particularly wanted Andrew to get to see the bagpipes--Aunt Karen thought Andrew was a little scared of them because he was so quiet, but Dan tells me that he was, in fact, utterly enthralled. (Which is fine, as long as he doesn't think he needs some of his own!)

After Andrew's nap, Bubby indulged herself in something she'd been dying to do: cut Andrew's raggedy hair. (Of course, she had our permission to do so). With some help from Dan, she managed to give Andrew a bona-fide Poppy haircut. I'm still getting used to the buzz look.


In the spirit of camaraderie, Jake agreed to get his hair buzzed as well, so you have here the Eves grandsons in all their bald glory.

To help them wash off the excess hair, Bubby let the boys run through the sprinklers. At a balmy 60 something degrees in Cedar City, it was maybe a little too cold for sprinklers, but they both enjoyed it all the same. (For reasons of modesty, we've omitted pictures of Jake in his underpants!)
Later that afternoon, the troop set off to Parowan, for an afternoon of festivities at Uncle Phil's house, in honor of Tony's graduation. Apparently all the Eves cousins were there, with their kids, so it was truly a party to be remembered. Andrew enjoyed especially playing with Dylan and Jasper, and he was enthralled with the tree in Uncle Phil's backyard. Dan tells me that he even managed to climb the tree a little bit, which must have pleased Andrew no end--he's been telling me for weeks that he was going to climb trees when he got bigger (he's even pointed out the trees he's going to climb, some of which, as mere saplings, wouldn't support his weight even now, let alone when he's older). I suppose I made his tree fascination worse by telling him that he couldn't climb trees until he was bigger.

Here you see Andrew in the tree at last. The stuff on his chin is hummus--Dan tells me that he probably ate half a pint of hummus--and certainly most of the supply that was in the house.

Andrew, with the imprint of Bubby's lipstick on his forehead:



The crew attended church at Bubby and Poppy's ward before returning northward, tired but happy with their visit. I can only suppose that Aaron was thrilled to have Sarah back, since he'd been on his own with the girls all weekend. I was also pleased to have my boys back--although my greeting may not have been as enthusiastic as desired, since their arrival woke me up from my nap! But at least I know I'm loved--the first thing Andrew said on returning home was that he "needed his mommy." Not that he showed much of that--he was too excited to do more than let me rub his newly shorn head before running off again.


No comments: