The first stirrings of misgiving came as we turned onto the road where the zoo is located. I couldn't initially figure out why so many cars were parked on the side of the road--surely not all of this was traffic for the zoo? I thought there must be some other explanation. As we slowly climbed the hill (behind a long line of cars that, as it turns out, were similarly looking for a parking spot) the awful truth became more and more clear: nearly everyone in Salt Lake County (and a few from without) with small children (and even some couples without children--although I can't imagine why you would brave the hordes without the excuse of little ones) seemed to have turned out for the event. I suppose some of this must have had to do with the fact that it was a sunny 60 degree day in late October.
At any rate, we were on the cell phone with Sarah trying to decide whether or not to abort mission when we found (miraculously) a parking spot on the side of the road just at the edge of the zoo parking lot. We nabbed the spot (I had to get out to help Dan maneuver into the tiny spot) and made our slow way into the zoo, where we were immediately assailed by the sights and sounds of thousands of small children in a myriad of costumes. (My overwrought senses were not, however, so overwrought that I failed to appreciate the fact that at least my children were wearing unique costumes: no princesses or superheroes for us, if you please! [With apologies to those who have princesses and superheroes--I know we're only a few years out]). Here's our cute little menagerie:
We had lunch at Red Robin instead of the proposed zoo outing--which was just as well, even if our service was pretty lousy. Afterwards, we returned to Sarah's house where Dan and Aaron watched kids while I dragged Sarah to Fashion Place mall, to visit the newly opened Janie and Jack store (the only one in Utah! Janie and Jack, for those of you who don't know, is the higher-end version of Gymboree, owned by the same parent company.) It was, of course, over-priced, but the clothes were beautiful and it was fun to look. We got home just in time to put our kids to bed (Andrew fell asleep in the car--while Evelyn was crying!).
Of course, our Saturday also began with a splash, with Andrew's second swim lesson. You can tell from the picture below that he's really loving it:
Actually, Andrew seems to really love his lessons--this momentary terrorized look was some kind of random blip (we don't really enjoy torturing our children). But it was too funny not to share. The smiling face below is much more typical of him. Evelyn and I watched for a little while, but then we had to go get gas for our trip up to SLC. Apparently, after we left, the teacher brought out some water noodles and told Dan he could tie one around Andrew's waist--and Andrew thought that his newly discovered independence was about the best thing since sliced bread.
This, I think, has to be my favorite picture of the kids from the week. I don't remember what I was doing, but I had propped Evelyn up on the bed and Andrew offered to "read" to her. Here is Andrew "reading" to Evelyn (actually, reciting one of his memorized books). So cute! I hope this is only the first of many such reading episodes.
2 comments:
Too bad the Zoo didn't work out, although your children made excellent elephants. I'm sure that Andrew will continue to love to read to his little sister.
Very cute Elephant costumes! Too bad you couldn't stay longer, but I'm sure you will have many future opportunities. I'm sad to miss Howl-o-ween at our Zoo this year. It was a lot of fun last year, and surprisingly not too crowded. Plus we are very lucky that the light-rail train stops right at the Zoo, so I almost never drive or have to worry about parking.
Post a Comment