Saturday, October 11, 2008

Adventures in Andrewland

Andrew had a series of funny moments yesterday that reminded me why we love him so much (and why he exasperates us so much!).

Yesterday morning we decided to make banana bread with some bananas that had clearly seen better days (no one in our family will touch them once they've started browning). We added chocolate chips, because I thought Andrew would enjoy that (although apparently my dad thinks that's a waste of chocolate chips and Dan thinks its a waste of good banana bread). Of course, Andrew insisted on having a few chips of his own to sample while I mixed the batter. To my horror, I suddenly heard Andrew saying to his sister (who was in the swing in the kitchen), "Here Evelyn." I looked up from my mixing to discover that Andrew had put a chocolate chip in her mouth! Luckily, they were miniature chips, but still. Evelyn tried to suck on the chip, made a funny face, and started gagging a little, so I swept the chip out with my finger. And Andrew and I had a discussion about appropriate baby food.

A little later, once Evelyn was asleep, we headed outside because Andrew wanted to show me "something growing" in the backyard. This was the peach tree that highlighted our previous post. After he showed me the tree (which is only a little taller than he is), I asked him what he wanted to do outside. His response? "I want to watch the tree grow." (Is this like the outdoor equivalent of watching paint dry?) Needless to say, I wasn't exactly onboard with this fascinating plan for entertainment.

And finally, I discovered that Andrew's new favorite game for outdoors is tag. He squealed delightedly when I chased him. Unfortunately, he also quickly discovered an out. Any time I got close to catching him, he would sit down abruptly and announce, "I'm resting!" So basically, Andrew rested a lot and I was (almost) always it.

No comments: