(Disclaimer: blog title is in no way indicative of the quality of our week, which was quite nice, thank you.)
One of my favorite phrases in Hungarian is the translation for "weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth": "Siras, rivas, es fog-csikorgatas." I've been thinking about it lately partly because I'm trying (operative word: try) to write a novel set in 19th C. Hungary--and partly because it seems that Oliver's teeth have been erupting lately.
We were trying to figure out why he's had such a lousy sleep schedule lately (waking up every 2 hours, sometimes with just 1 hour intervals between waking). At first we thought it was adjusting to grandma's house; then maybe ear infection. Then we realized that in the past couple of days he has cut two new teeth and a fourth one is about to break. That might explain the wild crying Friday night about midnight. Aside from that, he's our usual happy baby.
This has been a good week, starting with a Memorial Day dinner with my sister and her family, and my brother Jared and his family. Lots of cousins always equals chaos, but I'm so glad that my kids know their cousins. (I lived too far from most of my cousins to see them more than every other year or so).
While Dan has been doing some research at the BYU library, the kids and I have tried to fill our schedule with various activities. This week, said activities involved crafts with Jeni's kids, a trip to the Riverwoods where we rode the carousel, played games, and visited and old-fashioned toy store. We had planned a hike, but then Jeni wasn't feeling well, so we played with cousins instead.
Yesterday, we went up to SLC to see our cousin Katie play her final soccer game. Bubby and Poppy showed up for the festivities as well, and we capped it all off with a picnic at the "Cinderella Park" (See previous post).
In the afternoon, we met up with *all* of my siblings for an impromptu afternoon of ultimate frisbee and pick-up soccer. Justin was in town to buy a house (which he did--a lovely Tudor style house that I think he bought just because it looks like Shakespeare's house), so he was sans kids, but the rest of us had fun. My poor mom, though, was heartbroken because she had a temple shift then--higher duties and all that. But we'll be able to get *everyone* together in a couple of months.
Summer. It's a hard life, isn't it? (I could use more sleep, though . . .)
No comments:
Post a Comment