Sunday, May 26, 2013

Summering

Now that graduation and Dan's trip to AZ are behind us, we're on our way to enjoying summer vacation. Well, the kids and I are. Dan is planning to spend the summer on research.

We spent this past week visiting my parents. On Wednesday, our first day here, I took Andrew and Evelyn to the brand-new aquatic center at the community rec center. I think Andrew could go every day--he loved the big slides and the diving board and the rock wall (that lets you drop off into a deep pool when your hands get tired). Evelyn liked the kiddie pool the best, so I spent most of my time somewhere between the two kids, trying to keep an eye on both. I'm glad my mom took Oliver, otherwise I don't think we'd have made it.

Thursday very nearly saw Andrew's demise--he was bored, and it showed. He tormented his sister and drove his grandparents crazy. Luckily, we figured out that he just needs some time for physical activity, so Friday we started off with an early morning walk and a visit to a local duck park. Oliver was entranced by the ducks and the baby ducks. I counted nearly 30 ducklings on the pond. They were adorable--all but the one dead duckling that some little boy had fished out of the water. Yuck.

Yesterday we spent with Sarah and her family. We'd planned on going to the zoo--along with, apparently, the rest of SLC. We arrived around 10:30 and decided almost immediately not to stay, as there was no free parking left and the sheer volume of people made it clear that it wouldn't really be a pleasant experience. We're hoping to try again sometime soon.

Instead, we went to what Sarah's kids have dubbed the "Cinderella park." The kids played while the adults watched and Oliver napped. (We have Sarah to thank for the pictures as our camera battery died just as we arrived.)



After the park, we had lunch at Chuck-a-Rama, to the kids' and Aaron's delight. Dan doesn't love mass-produced food, but Andrew was in hog heaven. He ate so much we were worried he wouldn't keep it all in. On the way out to the car, he said he thought he was going to puke. I told him if he did, we wouldn't ever come back. A little while later, he changed his tune and asked "What do I get if I don't puke?" Nothing, we said. You get the joy of not puking.

One last story, from Evelyn. At dinner one night we were talking about Dan's current position as the cub scout master. Evelyn listened for a minute and then said, "What's Poppy the master of?"

Because, of course, everyone should be the master of something.

1 comment:

SRA said...

Hogle Zoo is ridiculous just about every time we go by there. I swear a day doesn't go by it isn't packed.