This is a long-ish post, so if you're not in the mood to read, you can just skip to the pictures. I promise I won't be offended.
This has been a week for the unexpected--experiencing new things and remembering old cataclysmic events.
One year ago today, we survived the somewhat traumatic unexpected birth of our son Oliver. Since then, he's grown more delightful with each passing day. We're still paying off his hospital bill, but we are so glad he's here and healthy.
Last Wednesday, my mom and I took my kids to Lagoon, where we met up with Jared and his kids. I didn't manage to take many pictures (and most of the ones I took were bad), but we did have a lot of fun. The kids were so well-behaved that we stayed much later than I'd intended, not getting back to my parents' house until nearly 11 p.m. Oliver flirted with anyone who would smile back at him, and Andrew revealed his inner speed demon (I think Mitcee called him an "adrenaline junkie"): he loved all the roller coasters. The faster, the better. He even went on the Colossus with Jared--no one else would go with him--and wanted to go again. Evelyn, on the other hand, was the opposite of a speed demon. We scared her with an early ride (though she'd loved the same ride at Disneyland, so go figure) and after that she was overly cautious about which rides she'd go on. She was happiest on the kiddie rides, including the one picture below--the boat ride. (Which was a total waste. It must be one of the longest and lamest rides in the park, because it takes so long to load the kids individually in the boats and then unload them).
This last week was also a family reunion for Dan's family. We loved seeing all the aunts and uncles and cousins--the only thing that marred our excitement was Dan's persistent stomach pain. On Friday, he finally gave into outside pressure and went to see a doctor. The doctor sent him to the hospital for a CAT scan, and the hospital kept him for an emergency appendectomy. In reality, it was less dramatic than it sounds--there was lots of waiting in between each new bit of information. But the surgery went smoothly and Dan was actually home late Friday night.
We could not, however, have made it through this without family--especially Bubby and Poppy who kept Evelyn and Andrew with them at the family reunion.
Also, we appreciate the timing of things. If this had to happen, it's best to have it happen like it did: with lots of family around, and two weeks left to run before our insurance year starts over again.
In addition to being Oliver's birthday, today we managed to lock ourselves out of the house on our way to Bubby and Poppy's. As in, I thought Dan had his keys (he always has his keys), and he thought I had my keys, but in fact *all* our keys were locked in the house and we're missing our spare key, as we gave it to the handy-man who finished our new kitchen counters while we were at my parents' house. Oops.
We finally got back in by pulling the screen off a back window and hoisting Andrew in through the window and he let us in the house. I foresee a visit to Home Depot this week to make another set of spare keys, as this is not something I want to repeat.
I promised pictures, so, without further comment, here are some of the things we've done in the last few weeks:
7 of my parents' 12 grandkids:
My siblings and I. I can't remember how long it's been since all four of us were together.
At the zoo with Sarah's kids:
Brielle's birthday
Grandma's kitchen
Lagoon
New kitchen! Well, counters anyway. And a new sink.
Family reunion
No comments:
Post a Comment