Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Princess Tales

I think maybe Evelyn's getting a little too into the whole princess thing.

My evidence? Well, after I got home from teaching today, she showed me a picture (mostly scribbles) that she'd drawn, and asked hopefully, "Can you read it?"

Since I'm not fluent in scribble, I couldn't. I asked her: "Why don't you read it to me?"

And this is what she said (this is pretty much verbatim):

"Once upon a time there was a princess named Belle. And Sleeping Beauty. In a castle." (I put periods in here because the long pauses seemed to merit them.) "And Belle was in the castle. Then Sleeping Beauty and Snow White and Ariel went inside. One day her was talking to Belle"

Laying aside the fact that this was a pretty coherent story for a two year old (well, that and the fact that she's still working on pronouns), it did strike me as just a little princess obsessed. Notice how more and more princesses show up as the story progresses?

And then I overheard this snippet at bedtime:

Dan: "Can I have a hug?"
Evelyn: "No! I'm a princess and I have shoes and I DON'T WANT TO!!"

(I have to note that I appreciate how having shoes equates to princess entitlement . . . )

No comments: