When I am king, dilly, dilly, you shall be queen.
And of course, we shall all eat dilly bars!
I introduced Andrew this week to the joy of dilly bars from DQ. We had a free kids meal from the library for the summer reading program, so, as a reward for being good during Evelyn's doctor's appointment on Wednesday (well, as good as Andrew gets), we went to the drive-thru. Andrew was quite enamored of his dilly bar--he ate all the chocolate off it, and most of the ice cream. As you can tell, he was thoroughly enjoying it.
On Saturday, we went to the Utah State Fair with family from both sides--initially, we were going to meet Sarah, Aaron and the kids, but at the last minute I convinced my sister to bring her kids too. Like most fairs, it was pricey to get in, and then nearly everything (food, rides, etc.) cost money. And of course, I brought our camera but forgot to get it out of the car, and then was too lazy (or too burdened with children, take your pick) to go back to the car and get it. But the kids seemed to enjoy themselves--they went through the "Little Hands on the Farm" exhibit, which let them pick corn, apples, etc., and then plant and harvest them again before "selling" their produce in exchange for a treat. (I missed most of this, as Evelyn decided she was hungry).
Jake, Katie, Andrew and Dan, Jeni and Jacob all went down the big yellow slide. Jake and Andrew loved it, but Katie and Jacob were less than thrilled with it. (I think it was a little too fast for both of them). We wandered through the animal barns--favorites were the litter of piglets (the only thing remotely charming about the pig pens, I think!) and the bunnies. Sarah made the mistake of saying she could almost be talked into a particularly cute bunny--and Jake heard her say this, and spent the next twenty minutes earnestly pleading for a bunny.
After we'd had enough of the animals, we went to find food. Because fair food is ridiculously expensive, we mostly opted for tasters (i.e. a bucket of fries for everyone), and tried the supposedly famous (it was on local television!) deep-fried peanut butter and jelly sandwich, which the industrious chef covers with powdered sugar and chocolate sauce after frying. It was pretty good, but not anything to write home about, I thought. It tasted mostly like a dougnut with a peanut butter filling. (Which, I suppose, is what it was). We went with Sarah and Aaron and gang to Crown Burger after that for a real lunch; Jeni took her tired kids home (after purchasing a really cool set of costume jewelry).
Those are pretty much the highlights of our week--aside from the conversation I had with Andrew at 5:30 this morning (after he insisted he needed to go to the bathroom) about the respective differences between boys and girls and the ways they use the bathroom. (I won't go into detail here, suffice it to say it was *way* to early to be discussing such topics, I thought). We've been trying--unsuccessfully--to encourage Andrew to potty train. Again. He does pretty well with #1, but seems to take a perverse pleasure in pooping in his underpants whenever we think he's close enough to actually try wearing them. Sigh.
At least Evelyn remains charming! (Even if my pictures are unfailingly poor). Even Andrew likes her: he told Dan, "Evelyn is so cute! And so soft to hold." She sure is getting nice and chubby. She started giggling for us this week--not just big smiles (which she does frequently), but a deep, belly-shaking gurgle.
p.s. Today marks the two-year anniversary of the creation of this blog. I'm pretty proud of the fact that we've been posting regularly for so long!
1 comment:
And again with the thoroughly delightful Evelyn faces. That kid makes the best faces. Your pictures of her are always delightful.
Post a Comment