As usual, I don't remember much of anything before Wednesday. On Thursday, I decided to schedule a personal marathon, apparently because I sensed that my mom was going to be out of town . . . I had a playdate in the morning with an old friend of mine, Jaqui Christiansen (who, for readers interested in the world's general smallness, is married to Natalie Nichol's cousin). Andrew ran around with her two little boys for an hour or so while we chatted. Her husband just got hired in the philosophy department here at BYU and she's been teaching a couple of advanced writing classes in the evening, so it was nice to talk to someone about the curious balance of mostly mothering with an occasional teaching experience thrown in.
Shortly after our playdate, I had a visiting teaching appointment scheduled. Since I'd taken care to dress in my teaching clothes (not knowing how much time I'd have to get myself ready after the morning's festivities), Andrew of course took care to make sure I had to change anyway: he insisted that he needed to go poop, and while he was sitting on the potty doing his business, he started to cough, which led to him puking in the garbage can, and, of course, all over me. Sigh. I had just enough time to go home, change my clothes, and feed the baby before our babysitter (my mom's kind friend Mary Jane) arrived to watch the kids while I went and taught. After teaching, I came home, fed the baby again, and then took the kids up to campus where Dan and I traded and I went to some meetings for work.
Friday, luckily, was much more low-key. We played at home in the morning before going to Sam's Club for some groceries (just missing Jeni in the process). We got a Mickey Mouse Halloween movie for Andrew, which he insisted on watching after his nap, and that pretty much kept him occupied until Dan came home.
On Saturday, we split our forces. Dan took Andrew to the Bean Museum, a nearby park, and Wendy's for lunch (where he met some crazy lady who was trying to talk him into helping her with some experiment she wanted to run to cure addiction--specifically, pornography addiction, which was the example she spent most of the time talking about). Meanwhile, my mom and I took Evelyn to the mall where I updated my teaching wardrobe. As we were pulling into the parking lot, my mom asked me if I was going to our stake's Relief Society dinner before the Relief Society broadcast that night . . . at which point I suddenly remembered that I had agreed to bring a pot of soup to said dinner. So I spent the latter part of the afternoon making soup, while Andrew and Evelyn slept.
We also had some pleasantly unexpected company--Bubby and Poppy stopped by for a visit on their way back to Cedar City; Poppy had been in SLC for some work-related meetings and they'd spent the evening with Sarah and gang. It was nice to see them--and I'm sure they enjoyed the change to hold Evelyn for a bit. She's at that wonderfully responsive, chubby stage.
We had a nice evening. The broadcast was lovely--I especially enjoyed Elder Uchtdorf's talk about the need to be both creative and compassionate. Afterwards, my mom and I went to Gymboree in quest of a specific skirt that Bubby was hunting for (for a family photo shoot at Christmas). We didn't find it, but we did find some other cute clothes. :)
This is what happens to Evelyn when Andrew decides to take charge of her entertainment. Toy overload.
1 comment:
She's getting so big! What a doll. I'm glad Andrew is such a helpful older brother, and I'm really sorry about the puke.
Post a Comment