Sunday, July 26, 2009

Moving Day

Has come and gone, and we're still living with my parents. No, not that anything drastic has happened--in fact, everything went pretty much according to plan. Thursday afternoon (in the blazingly hot July sun) we picked up the moving truck and then started to load, with my dad directing the arrangement of furniture and boxes inside the truck. We'd been working hard for an hour plus (well, Dan and my dad had been working hard--I'd been working hard sporadically, in between putting the baby to bed), with no sign of the elder's quorum (who were, in theory, going to help us load the truck--apparently moving right before a holiday weekend is not a good idea if you want people to show up). So my mom called a member of the bishopric, and within minutes we had a whole scattering of people--mostly high priests--arriving to help us. Our basement was cleared out pretty quickly after their arrival.

Bubby and Popy arrived shortly thereafter (they drove the truck down for us early Friday morning), and Sarah and Aaron sometime after that. I'd give Aaron a hard time and say that he delayed on purpose just to avoid having to actually work, but I know he'd never actually do something like that (he was on call and got called in).

Friday morning Bubby and Poppy left at what they call "o'dark early" (i.e. around 4:30) and were almost to their destination before we finally hit the road, sans kids. (We couldn't leave too early, because we wanted to get the kids settled with grandma before leaving). We arrived around 10 and started to unload. Again, we unloaded for an hour before help showed up--in the defense of our help (and we truly are grateful for all the help we received--even if my facetious retelling doesn't suggest that), we'd said we didn't need them until 11. At any rate, we finally got everything into the house, although we realized fairly late in the game (i.e. as we were trying to move it) that one of the couches that was supposed to go downstairs was never going to fit through the narrow doorway and equally narrow flight of stairs. So our TV room remains unfurnished (aside, of course, from the TV and stacks of boxes).

We spent Friday night and Saturday morning making some minor repairs, putting together our new table and chairs, and unpacking, unpacking, unpacking. But, most of the main rooms are finally habitable--the kitchen, bathrooms, and main living areas are all unpacked, and the kids rooms are more or less in order. And we only broke a couple of lightbulbs in the process.

Friday night, to celebrate our sixth anniversary and Dan's birthday, we went to dinner with Bubby and Poppy to a local sushi restaurant, where I tried my first real sushi (aside, of course, from a California roll). It was pretty good, but a lot more filling than I expected. (And, truth be told, a little spicy for me--at least, the ones we tried). Afterwards, Bubby and Poppy went home for some well deserved rest, and we went to the Shakespearean festival to see As You Like It. I'd never seen it before, but I read the play a long time ago and was looking forward to it. The first half was pretty slow and I wasn't sure Dan was going to make it. But a coke and a brief intermission later, and we made it through the second half, which I enjoyed, but Dan still found pretty long.

We came back Saturday to pick up the kids, and here we still are. Some family birthdays and a doctor's appointment for Evelyn are keeping us around town a little longer--I'm looking forward to the break since, with nothing to pack and nothing I can unpack, I can pretend for the moment that the mountain of work awaiting us at our house doesn't really exist.

No comments: