Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Images of summer

In yet another attempt to procrastinate packing, I'm blogging . . . (this needs to be done, too, right? Right?)

Here are the pictures from the last two weeks (mis)adventures.

First, pool pictures from our time in Park City. You should take special note of this picture since you may never before have seen (and probably never will again) pictures of me in a bathing suit. Evelyn looks good, though.


Jacob:

I love this one of Emi, how she's half buried behind other floats. I also love the sad little look in her eyes. Emi, it must be confessed, for all her love of mermaids is not most comfortable in water.

Enoch, with his mom. Enoch liked the water as long as he could cling to Jeni. I'm not sure how it worked out that my kids both act like they were born to be in water, but two of Jeni's three have to be coaxed into it. I certainly don't think it has anything to do with their mothers' respective aptitudes in water.

And more pictures, from our time with the in-laws. Here are the kids, waiting for the Fourth of July parade. (I can't think of the fourth without thinking of an interesting little book on memory in America--John Bodnar's Remaking America--since it serves as one of his signature examples of the conflict between official and vernacular commemorations, but since probably no one else who reads this blog is interested in stuff like that, I'll stop now.) We were on the side of the street facing the sun, so none of the kids could look at us without squinting. Notice Andrew has rocks in both of his hands--I'm not sure if he was preparing to stone the less successful floats or just being a typical three-year old.

Evelyn, in her pretty dress that matches her cousins' dresses (courtesy of her Bubby).

Also in keeping with family tradition, we left the parade early and retired to the Top Spot (more familiarly known as "The Cow" for the large cow on top of the roof--not quite as compelling as the bull in Boalsburg, but noticeable nonetheless). The kids love to "play" the arcade games while the adults sip sodas and enjoy the air conditioning. I love the look on Lydia's face, here. And on Evelyn's, when she got to "help" Andrew drive the race car.



Last, a video of Andrew doing what he loves best at the swimming pool: jumping in. I have to admit he frightens me just a little when he does this--I can't help remembering that I was only a little earlier than he is now when I got my first set of stitches jumping in the swimming pool (backwards, no less). That traumatic moment also, incidentally, forms my first real memory.

2 comments:

Topsy said...

Woo hooo, hot Roz in a bathing suit. Made my day girl! Nothing like a gorgeous flaming red headed cousin to take my breath away!

Jenilyn Collings said...

You posted a picture of me in a swimming suit!!! Okay, this definitely means war.