Monday, February 18, 2008

Lions, and Tigers, and Bears--Oh My!

We're trying something novel this week (well, today at least): we figured that maybe if we updated periodically, we'd be less likely to forget the beginning of the week. (Although I did remember what we did last Monday: I went to IKEA in Draper with my mom and my sister. Since Andrew had a major meltdown before we left the store, I might have simply blocked the occurance out of my mind. I did, however, buy some duvets and duvet covers for our bed. That was Dan and my Valentine's day present, and I have to say we love them.)

Anyway, we decided to take advantage of one of the first actually semi-nice days in the last month or so (and, incidentally, the President's Day holiday) to go to the zoo with Sarah, Aaron, and the kids. (We invited Jeni and Samuel to come, too, but apparently they had better things to do . . . actually, I think Jacob isn't feeling well). Suffice it to say, the kids had fun, and the adults didn't get too bored.

We prepped Andrew for the outing by dressing him in his most safari-like outfit, including this dandy little fishing vest that Grandma bought for him on sale at Gymboree. Looks charming, doesn't he? (Especially the tongue hanging out and the squinty eyes).





This next picture didn't turn out so great, but it's one of the few we got where you can actually see one of Hogle Zoo's newest acquisitions: a baby giraffe. Believe it or not, the smaller of the two giraffes in this picture is less than three months old (born the end of November, I think) and is a mere six feet or so in height.


Lydia was funny about the outing--she was so placid and content to stay in her stroller the entire time. Andrew, on the other hand, insisted on walking as much as possible, although we'd brought the stroller (mostly we used it to cart his diaper bag).


After an hour and a half or so, we decided we'd had enough fun in the sun (and snow) at the zoo, and headed out. We stopped at Granato's for lunch, which made the outing worthwhile for the adults as well. The kids chowed down on meatballs from the meatball subs, and, of course, we had to get some canoli and napoleon's to go . . . I'm sure Poppy would be jealous.

4 comments:

BubOppy said...

Of course I am jealous! Not only did you have a great outing at the Zoom, you got to go to an Italian deli. I am not sure it gets any better than that, unless you are doing it in Boston.

Emily P said...

So sorry to intrude. My little family is moving to Johnstown PA so I thought I might search some blogs "altoona stake" and that is how I came across your blog. Are you from there and if so, do you know of a good neighborhood to live in? I apologize agin for intruding-Emily from SLC

Rosalyn said...

Emily--we lived in the Altoona Stake for six years and it was a wonderful stake (we moved last summer)--but we lived in State College, PA, so I don't know anything about areas in Johnstown, unfortunately. Tun Chin, the stake president, works for Penn State university, so you might be able to get his email address through the PSU directory and you could ask him if he knows of anyone in Johnstown you might contact.

Emily P said...

Thanks! -Emily