The week started off cold (typical for February) and ended unusually warm--enough so that we've taken our kids to the park the last couple of days.
The big even this week was the Blue and Gold banquet for scouting. The theme was "Friends Near and Far," which lent it an international flavor. We were supposed to bring international desserts, so I spent the afternoon making a Hungarian apple and pecan pita (a little like a tart, with a shortbread layer above and below the filling). I'd skimmed over the recipe before starting and it looked easy enough, but really it had lots of finicky details--making and rolling out two separate pieces of dough, food processing the apples and the nuts, whipping egg whites as part of the filling--which meant it took longer than expected! It was pretty good though. Different from a lot of American sweets.
I think these events stress Dan out--not necessarily because he's in charge, but because he hates food events. The meat wasn't ready when they were supposed to start, so the meeting started late, and Dan didn't eat at all (partly because they ran out of meat and partly because Dan has trained himself to be the last person to eat at potlucks in case there's not enough food). I had to leave early to get Andrew to Tae Kwon Do--he really wanted to try for his yellow belt (he has to be present two weeks in a row to test), but he's not quite there yet.
In other news, I got copy edits for my book this week (mostly grammar and usage stuff, from a different editor than mine), which is exciting, because it's one more step toward publication--and stressful, because it's one more thing to do before we go to Dallas to visit Matt and Laurie!
People are finally healthy again (knock on wood), so we've been enjoying the nice weather.
This morning's blog post brought to you by perler beads:
No comments:
Post a Comment