Sunday, January 18, 2015

Birthdays

Growing up, the season immediately after Christmas was always about birthdays--all four kid had birthdays within a 3 week span, ending with mine. Because they were so close together, birthdays were never a big deal (though we had fun).

Today is my birthday--and I still don't have a big celebration. But I've had a good day--and yesterday was even better, since Dan let me run away to the library in the morning to write with my friends (we actually do write!) and then we had lunch together. Today we had a leisurely morning, church, and dinner with Bubby and Poppy, including a chocolate pie. :)

And thanks to social media, I've had lots of lovely birthday wishes. Mostly I'm just feeling loved today. (And a little wondering how I got so old).

To round out our pretty insubstantial post, here's some more Oliver cuteness (though you may have seen this on FB).

Yesterday, Oliver cracked us all up by making up a little ditty. It went something like this:

I got my boots.
I got my hands.
I got my knuckle hands.
I got my chubble cheeks.

Hard not to love a kid with "chubble cheeks."

And then there was this conversation with Evelyn when we picked Andrew up from scouts:

"A boy wanted to kiss me but the teacher wouldn't let him."
"Did you want him to kiss you?"
"No way! I don't want anyone to fall in love with me until I'm a teenager" (in a tone that implied that anyone who kissed her would be powerless against her charm).

even if I am getting older and have gray hairs, I'm grateful for these kids.

No comments: