I don't have a lot to report this week--last week was stressful (for reasons that I can't share publicly yet) and Oliver gave me his cold so I spent most of the week sick. Evelyn was home Monday and Tuesday, also sick, and Andrew was home Wednesday with an ear infection.
All things considered, we're happy the week is over.
But today I got to hear some lovely talks on gratitude. And with my Young Women, we read a powerful quote about how gratitude for the gift of a testimony is the start of real conversion.
I have a lot to be grateful for, starting with my husband, who is unfailingly kind and generally unflappable and pretty much the best partner I could ask for in this whole parenting thing. Today I watched him with Oliver during sacrament meeting, their heads bent together, and my heart about burst.
My three kids, who are each challenging and delightful in their own way. Oliver, who wants to do everything his way, but who loves me with an intensity that astounds me. Evelyn, who can be ultra sensitive, but who is friendly and cheerful and kind (like her daddy). Andrew, who's drive to win will undoubtedly make him a great adult (but is sometimes uncomfortable in a kid with limited options), but who is also smart and thoughtful and insightful beyond his years.
I'm grateful to have extended family and friends who trust me to be part of their lives and not to mess things up (a trust, unfortunately, that isn't always fulfilled). For my parents, who have always believed in me. I called my mom earlier this week, feeling stressed, and asking her if they could pray for me. Her answer moved me deeply: "We already are." It's nice to have people in my life who know me so well!
A flexible career that lets me use my mind and help people with something I'm passionate about: words and ideas. I'm grateful for writing and books and all the many friends who share those passions with me. And Dan's career, which is pretty much exactly what he told me he wanted all those years ago when we were dating.
A home in a wonderful community.
And my faith, which lends an undercurrent of meaning to everything else I do.
So this year, going into Thanksgiving, I just want to remember to be grateful for all the things I have--and worry less about things over which I have no control.
1 comment:
It's the best way to go about things: gratitude for what you do have and the willingness to put the rest in the Lord's hands and 'let it go'.
Post a Comment