This week was our university's Homecoming, which meant that Poppy was extraordinarily busy and Dan and Evelyn got to be in the Homecoming parade. I wasn't there to witness it--Andrew had a soccer game at the same time--but I hear that Evelyn was a big hit in her cheerleader's outfit. One of my friends saw her and said that she was dancing down the street and offering candy individually to people sitting along the route. Good thing that girl isn't shy. At all.
Meanwhile, Andrew, Oliver and I were at Andrew's soccer game. Since we had two simultaneous conflicts, Oliver got to come with us. It was Andrew's last game (is it wrong to admit how happy I am about that), and one of his best. His team lost (by a lot), but Andrew had a great game, scoring his team's two goals.
Other highlights from the week: on Thursday, we had Oliver weighed again. This time, he weighed 9 lbs 11 oz--a full 1 lb 3 oz more than he weighed 13 days earlier. Clearly, the boy knows how to eat. Now, if we could just get him to learn how to sleep longer, especially at night.
I had an odd conversation with Andrew this week, one that revealed just how upset Andrew has been by Oliver's advent. I was giving Oliver a bath and telling him how "phat" he is.
Andrew asked, "Why is it good for babies to be fat?"
I explained that fat on babies was often a sign of good health.
Andrew thought for a minute, then said, "So, does this mean that he won't die?"
I was a little horrified. Andrew was quite upset by our miscarriage last year (the one he knows about) and still talks about it sometimes. Apparently, he absorbed some of our worry about Oliver, especially with him being in the hospital so long, but didn't quite know what it meant. And, since we didn't know he was worried about it, we didn't talk to him about it. Hopefully, he's a little more reassured now that Oliver will be okay. (I admit the specter of SIDS does sometimes worry me, as it has with all my kids, but it seems unlikely). But we keep saying our prayers. Now I just have one more reason for praying--please let the baby be healthy so I don't have to explain to my son why something went wrong!
No comments:
Post a Comment