Andrew started first grade this week (on Thursday). The house has been strangely (okay, not so strangely) quiet without him, although he's made up for it when he gets home. It usually takes all of 30 seconds for him to start into his favorite pasttime--Evelyn baiting. (Unfortunately, Evelyn's not as big a fan of this game).
I think he likes school, although so far his favorite things are recess and school lunch. He was up late the night before school started worrying about just about everything: how lunch would work, if he'd make friends, if the girls would chase him at recess (seriously!). After two days, I think most of the worries have subsided, but he told me today that he still worries because he's away from his family so long. A sweet sentiment, but I think he'll get used to his new schedule pretty quick. I think it's just that, coming on top of the total disruption of his summer, it's been a lot of change for my change-resistant boy.
And of course, in a total parenting fail, I have no pictures from his first day of school. (Dan walked him to school while I was feeding the baby; and by the time I remembered when Andrew got home, he'd already spilled food on his new clothes). I do, however, have pictures of the robot costume his Dad helped him make (after Andrew broke Evelyn's scissors trying to cut out the arm holes himself).
I think we're slowly adjusting to life with a newborn (38 weeks last Saturday!). We turned off Oliver's oxygen on Thursday and so far he's done great--every once in a while when he's deep asleep his stats slip just a little. We're hoping that when we go to the doctor tomorrow, she'll tell us we can get rid of the oxygen and monitor.
In other Oliver news, we took him to get weighed on Tuesday. A week ago Monday, he weighed 4 lbs 12 oz. Last Tuesday, his weight was up to 5 lbs 10 oz! So he's clearly getting enough to eat. He's almost up to regular newborn size.
This picture is really blurry, but I love it because of the look on Evelyn's face. She looks like she wants to eat him or something.
She's also not entirely clear on the concept of how to hold him. Look at the face here--I think she looks like her daddy with this expression. (It's the same face Dan pulls frequently for pictures).
Oliver was officially two months old on Thursday. So of course I had to take pictures to document it. I've seen other parents of preemies do this--take pictures of their kids with a stuffed animal so that, as the kid grows, you can track their progress relative to the size of the toy. So here's Oliver. For context, this is one of those baby Eeyore dolls you can get at Disneyland.
Poor kid. Mommy was having too much fun posing him.
These next two pictures are a little blurry--I turned off the flash because it kept startling Oliver (and the pictures kept looking washed out). But here's a closeup of my baby.
Oliver reminds me a lot of a couple other babies I've known. Clearly, Dan and I breed true to some kind of mold.
Here's Andrew as a newborn. Look familiar?
And here's Evelyn. I'd forgotten what fat, round cheeks she had! I think Oliver looks more like Andrew than Evelyn, but there's clearly a family resemblance.




6 comments:
I love this! I didn't know you had a family blog (I've just read a few things you've written on writer blogs) so this was fun to see. The greatest thing I've read so far...your "about us" section. Oh, if there is anyone who doesn't have a portion of themselves that is an inner exhibitionist or voyeur...I don't want to know them! :) Happy blogging, cuddling Oliver, and being an utterly normal parent by forgetting to document the first day of school!
How fun! Oliver is so cute--and I can't believe how much he looks like your other kids.
He's just adorable. I need to get over and meet this cutie in person.
He's adorable! I love the disgruntled look on his face in the last photo of him--it's almost as good as Andrew's suspicious!face in his last photo. (I love disgruntled baby faces. I think they're the funniest thing ever.)
Evelyn's adorable, too. I think the last pics I saw of her were when she was a baby.
So glad Oliver's growing well. :)
Your kids are adorable. And now there are three! I am so glad that Oliver is thriving and can't wait to meet him. He looks so, so good!
I love the pictures with the eyeore doll for reference, he's still so small, but I'm glad to hear that he's growing. It's so crazy to think of him as only 38 weeks gestational, and 2 months old! You're doing an amazing job! I also love Andrew's robot, great fun. Good luck with everything!
Post a Comment