But I have to admit that cooler temperatures here meant that it was really nice in Dallas-instead of the high 80s from the week before our visit, we had days mostly in the temperate 70s (Saturday it didn't even crack 70). One of the women in church told me she was glad that they could orchestrate such nice weather for our visit. I bit my tongue and didn't explain that the same cold front that brought the nice weather also kept us in Vegas for two days.
Of course, Sunday's post to the contrary, we didn't spend all our time in Vegas at the airport (although it felt like it! When we got off the plane and walked into the same wing where we'd spent so much time fruitlessly waiting, Dan and I both had the eerie sense that maybe we'd never actually left the building . . . but we have pictures to prove we did!)
On Tuesday, before any of the flight fracas, we had lunch at Maggianos, walked down to see the pirate ships in front of Treasure Island (and took pictures, but since the kids were never a) looking at the camera or b) looking in the same direction, the pictures hardly seemed worth posting), and then went to the natural history museum. Turns out, it was a pretty nice little museum. The kids liked all of the animal displays, although they were bored in the recreation of King Tut's tomb (which was one of the most interesting parts for Dan and I). The museum also has a dinosaur room with animatronic dinosaurs. Once the kids got over being scared of the T-rex and triceratops going at each other in the entrance, I think they actually enjoyed it.
The picture here is bad, but that's a feathered raptor you see behind the kids. (They still wouldn't look at the camera at the same time--a problem we had most of the trip).
Friday night Matt and Laurie took us to a little El Salvadorean restaurant and introduced us to pupusas--a kind of flat baked pancake-like thing with cheese (or other filling) inside it. They were really good--and they allowed us to check off one more letter on our world-cuisine tour: "N" for "Nicaraugua," whose food (so Matt tells us) is quite similar.
On Saturday, we went to the Dallas arboretum. We've heard a lot about it from Bubby and Poppy, but we wanted to see it for ourselves. It was beautiful--if a bit crowded. The day, despite the sunshine, was cool and breezy (mostly in the upper 50s). It was funny to hear people complain, though, about the cold. We also saw several brides and quinceanera candidates (I'm not sure what you actually call them) in their full formal gowns. Evelyn was entranced with a little hispanic girl who wore a pink formal gown with a full hoop skirt (clearly an attendant for a wedding or quinceanera). I also watched this same little girl fall down and then start crying because she couldn't get up unaided in those huge skirts.
Sunday, of course, was church. I didn't get much out of Sunday school, because I was distracted by Clara, who was flirting shamelessly with me from the safety of her dad's arms. But I did enjoy Relief Society, where we talked about the importance of working on our talents (something I've been thinking about a lot lately and may have to post something about on my other blog). For dinner, we had turkey and mashed potatoes. I think that may have been our only home-cooked meal--not because Laurie and Matt weren't willing and able to cook, but because all of us (visitors and hosts alike) enjoyed the excuse to eat out for a change. (Well, to be fair, we did help them eat leftovers on Saturday).
On Monday, Matt took the day off of work and we all headed out to Fair Park, home of (at least) 10 different museums and the site of the Cotton Bowl stadium. (Also, apparently, the site of the Texas State Fair, which claims to be the largest state fair. Judging from the size of the complex, I'm not surprised). We bought museum passports which let us into 7 of the different on-site museums; we went to three of them: the Museum of Science and Nature (which included a children's museum); the Children's Aquarium; and the Texas Discovery Garden (a butterfly garden).
The kids loved the children's museum in the basement of the museum of science: they got to "milk" a fake cow, explore a miniature farm, learn about water flow (I think) by playing with water and ducks, crawl through a child-sized ant-hill, putter around a home, play in a sandbox, dress-up; pretend to be firemen, etc. Aside from the hordes of school groups there, I don't think the kids could have imagined anything better. (As an adult, I was bored a considerable portion of the time--although the heat sensitive screens were cool.) It was fun, though, to see the kids' excitement. Leo's enthusiasm radiates through his entire body.
Tuesday, our final day in Dallas, we took the kids to the zoo. Matt was back at work and Laurie was watching a friend's daughter while her friend attended a funeral, so it was just us this time. The zoo was a nice one--with large habitats for the animals, and (my favorite part) a monorail ride around one of the areas with a guided tour of the animals. (The area surrounding the zoo, however, is a bit ghetto Laurie tells me; apparently, a week or so ago the entire zoo was evacuated because a robbery had taken place nearby and the criminal hopped the fence into the zoo. I'm glad she didn't tell me this until afterwards; just like I'm glad I didn't know her mother's story, about the previous owners of *our* house being held at gunpoint after robbers broke into the house, until yesterday).
We started out with the children's zoo--a playground area with exhibits for some of the smaller and more domestic animals, like this turtle.
That night, Laurie's mom arrived, so we had a full house for one night (and lots of tired, over-excited children). And now we're back. With the heat on.
And I'm done. Whew! Are long blog posts as exhausting to read as they are to write?
2 comments:
One minor correction: it is the State Fair of Texas, not the Texas State Fair. That got drilled into me during the week I spent at Fair Park during my internship. I love that place, though. An oasis in a rather ghetto part of the city. Glad you and the family had fun and ate well. :)
Thanks for making the big trip out to see us. We had such a fun time.
Laurie
Post a Comment