However, because we've got a busy week ahead of us with family, etc., we decided to have Evelyn's birthday party early. Wednesday morning saw us with a house full of little girls (6, including Evelyn) and 3 boys (mostly brothers). Now, I have to say that I'm not normally a fan of big parties for small children, but in this case it was hard to avoid--our neighbor has triplets who are Evelyn's age and friends of ours.
Here's Evelyn on the morning of her big day--and Andrew, who doesn't quite know how to deal with not being the center of attention.
A princess must be well-dressed (I didn't want to say "beautiful," because I want my daughter to look beyond just the surface aspects of a princess). I found some inexpensive plastic shoes for the girls, and they borrowed some of Evelyn's many tutus.
And a princess must be creative, so we made foam crowns.
A princess must be healthy . . . we adjourned to the dining room for some cheese, crackers, and fruit.
And finally (because I was feeling inspired by the Princess Knight book I mentioned last week), a princess must be brave. Andrew and his friends agreed to put on dinosaur masks and act like dragons, and the princesses had to frighten them off with their magic bubbles. Everyone (dragons and princesses) enjoyed this one.
My mom was in town this week, partly for Evelyn's party and partly to help watch my kids while I dealt with finals. (My final exam was the very last slot on Thursday). But apparently, her real purpose was to come weed my yard. With ruthless efficiency, she weeded my *entire* garden spot (which I wasn't planning on doing since I didn't figure we'd be able to get in a garden this year). This is just one more reason why my mom is terrific--I wish I had her stamina for gardening! In any case, it was fun to have her here.
After she left, things got pretty quiet. I spent much of yesterday grading while Dan took the kids out to do things like buy a soaker hose for our now cleared garden. But we survived, and had a lovely quiet morning this morning. Andrew gave me a mother's day card (actually a book) about him and Evelyn making me a mother's day card . . . a very "meta" moment that the English geek in me appreciated. And Dan gave me the present I've been requesting for the past couple Christmases . . . a book (350+ pages) of our blog, from 2007-2009 (now we're only a year behind! Guess what I want next year . . . ). Somehow, seeing the concrete version of this blog made me appreciate what an accomplishment this is. We may not have many readers, but we have a real record of our family life. It was fun to look back through it and reminisce about things I would never have otherwise remembered, like the prayer Andrew gave when he was two, and asked Heavenly Father to bless everyone, "except for Reginald Von Hoobie Doobie" (a character in Mo Willem's book, Edwina, the Dinosaur who didn't know she was extinct).
One final picture for the record: this is what happens when Evelyn goes into the bathroom unsupervised and finds my eye shadow. She almost got her eyelids (eyebrows are close, right?). And if you look closely, you can see pink marker by her mouth, the remnants of the coloring orgy she and Andrew indulged in while I was trying to finish grading one more paper. (Of course, if I'd realized they were coloring each other and not paper, I would have intervened much sooner!). I didn't think to take a picture, but they were quite a sight. Andrew colored his arms and legs orange, "too look like his soccer shin guards," and Evelyn decorated her legs with lovely pink and purple squigglies.
No comments:
Post a Comment