Sunday, May 22, 2011

nothing much

After the excitement of the last week or so, it was kind of nice to have a couple days of quiet. (Not that we didn't enjoy the excitement!)

We had a day or two of fairly miserable weather (snow Wednesday; hail Thursday--or was that Friday?). In any case, we've been cooped up for a while. Things got nicer yesterday, so the kids played outside with the neighbors for a while; Dan and Poppy managed to get the sprinkler system up and running, and I "budged" the house (an Eves-ism for a thorough cleaning, usually before a trip of some sort, stemming from Trisha's habit of refusing to "budge" until the house was clean). The kids did help a bit, but it's hard for them to sustain an interest in deep cleaning for long. Suffice it to say that the bathroom and fridge are now thoroughly cleaned; the bedrooms (including a few corners that hadn't seen the light of day in a shamefully long time) are cleared, swept, and dusted, and I am in general feeling much happier about my status as a homeowner/housekeeper.

Today we had a little adventure--but not the kind you generally want to have. We were enjoying a calm spot in sacrament meeting (Andrew was coloring; Evelyn was laying on her stomach looking at a sticker book), when Evelyn suddenly announced, "Mommy, I'm peeing!" Note carefully the present tense--not "I need to go," but "I'm currently doing it." And she was. A sinister dark stain was seeping across the pale purple pew cover underneath her. Dan rushed her to the bathroom (too late); then I took her home for clean clothes and some towels to clean the pew with. I'm not sure who was more traumatized by the experience: me, Dan, or Evelyn (who cried all the way home).

No comments: