Sometimes I'm not very good about posting about the little moments--those moments that often get forgotten in the rush to summarize the "grand" events of the week.
Tonight, though, I had one of those moments. Andrew is giving a talk on Sunday (his first--if you don't count the one he was supposed to give but I never saw the notice for . . . ) on the Savior. So tonight, I read the Easter story with the kids (the one out of the children's version of the New Testament). Before I started, Evelyn announced, with tears standing in her eyes, that she would be sad if Jesus died. Andrew was quick to reassure her that Jesus would live again.
As we went through the story, Andrew got more and more distressed until he finally asked me to stop reading, because it was sad (we were reading about the crucifixion). I promised him it would get better, so he let me keep reading. Then I had time to explain to Andrew that Jesus did all of that because he (Jesus) loved him (Andrew), and Evelyn, and me, and his dad . . . and everyone in the world.
Andrew asked, "Even the bad guys?"
I said, "Yes, even the bad guys."
For me, the Atonement is at the heart of my love for the gospel. I've had questions about a lot of things, but never about that. It's hard to express how moving it is to see my children slowly starting to understand what happened.
2 comments:
That is really sweet. If only we all had such simple, pure perspectives.
What a wonderful post, I love it when I have these great teaching moments with my own kids. I'm sure you'll be so grateful you took the time to write this down, and someday so will Andrew and Evelyn.
Post a Comment