Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Coupon Diva

Actually, I'm not one (a coupon diva, that is. I'll never be this lady, for instance. Or this one.) But I have been trying recently to shop a little smarter, by buying grocery items that we use regularly when I can match coupons with sales, rather than just when I need them. Today was the first day of Smith's doublers event (which means that any coupon less than $1 in value was rounded up to $1), so I thought I'd try putting into practice what I've learned in the last few weeks. I made my list, matched up my coupons, planned a route through the store (a must, if you're going to try to use multiple coupons with small children in tow), and executed the plan. While I'm not up to the 70 or 80 percent savings that some can boast, I was pretty pleased with myself--I managed to save about 40% off my grocery bill (and nearly $30 of that was with coupons!), and this was with buying some big items, like diapers and laundry detergent. I don't imagine I have the time or energy to ever go for this big time, but for a beginner's effort, I didn't think I did too badly.

Okay. Thanks for letting me get that out of my system. (Although really, what choice do you have? I have full editorial control here.)

If you've made it this far, you deserve some kind of award. So how's this? Two funny sayings from two funny kids.

Andrew, at swim lessons this morning: "Mommy, look at all those people swimming laptops!"

Evelyn, when I was changing a poopy diaper this afternoon. "I hab princess bum." (She also told me she had a stinky bum, which morphed into a "Tinkerbell" bum. And I have to say, speaking as her entirely biased mom, she does have delicious cheeks. All four of 'em.)

1 comment:

SRA said...

Thanks for the heads up about the $1 round-up on coupons at Smith's. I'm going grocery shopping tonight anyway, but now it's going to be that much better! Looking forward to seeing you folks in a couple weeks when I'm in town for Shakespeare. :D