Sunday, August 01, 2010

Promissory Note

I guess I'm defaulting a little on my weekly post--today has been a little crazy (and promises to be more so) as we gear up for a week with relatives (none of whom are blood relatives for me, except for my kids). So no pictures. And likely a short post.

We have had a nice week--the kids have been doing swim lessons this week. Andrew has had actual lessons (and I *think* he's finally learning to listen to his teacher--the first day or so he got so excited being at the pool that he forgot to wait until his teacher was ready before jumping into the pool). Evelyn is just doing the parent/tot class with me. But we're learning a few floating techniques. Andrew even got to jump off the diving board! Well, sort of. For novices like him, the teachers will often walk them to the end of the board and then lower them at least part-way to the water, where another teacher/life guard waits to catch them. The first time, Andrew's teacher lowered him half-way, then dropped him. The second time, his teacher walked to the end of the board with him, then Andrew jumped by himself. The third time, Andrew strode confidently out on the board, slowed down, and stopped completely about a foot or two from the end of the board. Then he carefully lowered himself to all fours, and backed up the length of the board! (One of the teachers rescued him, and walked him out to the end of the board, where he did jump). He claims to like it, but apparently he's not ready for solo jumping yet!

Yesterday we had the opportunity to go to our neighbor's baptism. We've become good friends with her family; her dad is in the English department on campus, I get to hang out with her mom sometimes, and her little brother is a good friend of Andrew's. As for Zoe herself? Well, I think Evelyn has adopted her. They're really cute together, since Zoe is protective and Evelyn thinks Zoe is about the greatest thing since sliced bread. Her baptism was lovely--simple, sincere, everything a baptism should be. I think this was Evelyn's first time seeing a baptism--I'm glad it was for someone she likes so well.

In other news--I don't know if any of you remember my post some months back about my lingering social wall-flower-ness? No? I didn't think so. Well, you can read it here, if you really want to. You'll notice at the end of the post that I mentioned the ladies at Segullah as one particular community that I wished I could join, but wasn't quite cool enough to? Apparently, feeling ostracized can be as much about individual perception as actual reality, since last week I got an email from one of the main editors at Segullah asking if I wanted to be on their staff . . . (It helps to have a friend who's already on staff who can recommend you as a possibility when they start looking to flesh out their ranks). So, apparently, I get to be cool now. :) (I said yes, in case you were wondering.)

1 comment:

SRA said...

I read a piece of yours on Segullah a couple months ago and was excited to no end to know someone who writes on there. Now you're going to be on the staff? Excellent. :)