Sunday, April 04, 2010

Easter Sunday

Happy Easter! We hope everyone had a lovely week, the cold weather notwithstanding.

This has been one of those weeks where I feel more tired at the end than at the beginning. I'm starting to think maybe I'm not meant to run 5ks. I've only run two, and both times I've ended up *sick* the full week after the run. It can't be the distance--I run that far one a weekly basis on the track. Maybe its the whole outdoor thing. Fresh air can be so unhealthy. (At least, that's what the old Hungarian aunties (nenis) used to tell us). In this case, though, I think the real culprits were my kids, who are finally starting to get over colds that have dragged out for more than two weeks now.

Being sick, coupled with cold weather, meant that we stayed indoors a lot. And dressed up. Evelyn didn't much like the pirate skull cap, but she looked cute.

Mid-week, after a long phone call with the newspaper company (about a weekend paper that, five weeks after our initial subscription, still hadn't come. Turns out they had the wrong address--I thought--but then it didn't come again this weekend either. Even after I'd called. Urgh.), I went downstairs to find out why Evelyn was being so quiet. This is what I found:


Poor tired baby. My kids almost never fall asleep outside of their beds--unless they're in their car seats and the car is moving.

I already posted about the unseemly amount of snow for April Fools (see post below). Dan had Friday off school for Good Friday, so we spent the day hanging out with the kids and getting some chores done around the house: I finished the curtains for Andrew's room that I intended to make last fall; Dan hung up the shower curtain in our (finally) finished downstairs shower and put up a towel rack.

Oh, and my guest post appeared at Segullah (you can see the link in my last blog entry). It's nice to write for a site with a pre-established readership: I never get that many comments here. (Of course, I don't usually spend as much time crafting my post either).

Yesterday was busy (probably busier than it should have been for a conference Sunday). I'll say at the outset that we didn't see much of conference (although we have it recorded and fully intend to watch what we missed during the coming week or two). In this case, family trumped sitting down to watch conference. You see, this weekend was also Arts Fest down south, and a traditional reunion time for much of Dan's extended family. (His uncle is an artist with a booth in the festival--his booth serves as the unofficial meeting point for the family).

The day started pretty early, with me volunteering for the local Bountiful Baskets co-op delivery. After picking up our weekly supply of vegetables, I had just enough time to go home, load up Dan and the kids, and go to the downtown park for the City's Easter Egg hunt (actually put on by one of the university fraternities). It's a bit of a zoo--Dan's favorite thing--and it keeps getting bigger each year. We'll see if we go again. We've been the past couple of years (both as visitors and residents), and it was fun while Andrew could still go to the little kids' hunt. Now that he's graduated to an older age bracket, some of the fun has disappeared as the competition has increased. Sarah brought her kids too, so it was fun to be with cousins, if crazy. And cold. (Yes folks, that is snow you see in the background).

You can tell how happy Evelyn was to wait for the hunt. She seemed to enjoy it once it started--it probably helped that we'd played some pretend "Easter egg hunts" the day before so she got the concept of putting eggs in a basket. (Dan was with Andrew at another field, so I don't have any pictures of them).

Here's a picture mid hunt.


Afterward, we went home, regrouped (showered, in some cases), and then headed south, listening to what we could of conference on the way down. In SG, we met up with Sarah and family at Bubby and Poppy's condo before heading to the Arts Festival. Over the course of the afternoon we saw Dan's aunt and uncle, three or four different cousins (and assorted children--I can't remember the exact count), our across-the-street neighbors (and English department colleague), another friend from the English department, and one of Dan's colleagues in the chemistry department. I guess it was the hot place to be on Saturday.

Afterward, Katie and Lydia (who both have birthdays around this time of year) got to open their scooters from Bubby and Poppy. We'd been warned to bring wheels for our kids too, and it was fun to watch them all tear around, although Andrew's radio flyer was no match for Katie and her new razor.

Today was a little more leisurely, but today also saw us heading south to spend the afternoon with the family (who were still at the condo). We did, however, get to watch conference (Evelyn obligingly napped for most of the afternoon session). Between sessions, we had a lovely walk to the temple--however cold it may be in our neck of the woods, it was truly gorgeous down south.




2 comments:

Lori said...

It's always fun to see what great adventures you are having. Your kids are growing so cute!

Lori said...

What I meant was growing up so cute! :) I get so nervous typing on your blog, you're so professional!