Bubby watched the kids again today, while I was teaching my class. She's been cleaning (her house and mine!) so she brought some old album's of Dan's for us to store. Andrew and I had fun looking at pictures of Dan as a little boy--I keep searching the pictures for signs of my children. I see some of Dan's expressions in Andrew, but Andrew still looks more like a Collings to me.
However. Tonight after baths Andrew and I were looking into the mirror in my room, and I asked Andrew who he looked more like: me or his dad.
With no hesitation, Andrew said, "Daddy."
When I asked why, he said, "Because Daddy and I both have little hair and big ears."
****
And, just because I'm posting, I wanted to add one of those little mundane details that I always forget to record, but that years from now I'm sure I won't remember. Every night at bedtime we have our rituals. Usually, this means that we read the kids books while they have some sort of drink (amazingly enough--knock on wood--we've never had nocturnal accidents with Andrew, despite this routine). Then we brush teeth, sing a song or two to the kids, and put them to bed. Since the kids currently have different bedtimes, we do this routine separately--Dan puts Andrew to bed, and I put Evelyn to bed. While Andrew likes to choose his bedtime stories, Evelyn likes to have the same three stories every night. And if I try to skip one, she lets me know.
Her stories are: Dog, Princesses (the first two are touchy-feely books that she got for Christmas), and Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes (a charming rhyming book by Mem Fox).
We read these every night. Evelyn calls the last one "Babies" (because it's all about babies). Tonight, Dan read her Ten Little Fingers while I was getting Andrew into his pjs. When we switched off with the kids, I assumed that I could skip that one, since she'd heard it a bare ten minutes ago. But no. As soon as I finished the others, she started looking frantic and repeating insistently, "Babies! Babies!" But at least I know she likes books.
No comments:
Post a Comment