Sunday, November 29, 2009

newborn adoration

This week was Thanksgiving, and so, like millions of other Americans, we made the long trek elsewhere to be with family for the holiday.

Not, however, without a little adventure first. Our faithful readers will already know about our geyser (this happened Tuesday, the day before we were set to leave--luckily, the kind man who's working on remodeling our downstairs shower fixed it for us when he came in to work).

Monday evening, we watched the neighbor kids for a couple of hours while their dad was in surgery. I think Andrew thoroughly enjoyed it (although neither of our overtired kids slept all that well that night). Isaac is well able to match him in terms of energy--and Isaac isn't afraid to speak his mind. When, at one point, he told his sister, "I don't want to play with Andrew. He's too wild!" I was glad that Andrew was in the room to hear it. Since he has a tendency to get wound up when he's around other kids (I've started to wonder if maybe this child of mine craves more socializing than either of his introverted parents. Maybe we need more play dates?), he needs to know that not all kids respond well to that.



We had a wonderful Thanksgiving--not a lot of specifics to say about that, except that we had some good food and enjoyed spending the time with my parents and my sister and her family. Friday was more family. My mom and I braved the Black Friday sales, while Dan took the kids up north for the morning to hang out with Sarah and the gang. And, contrary to popular belief, the sales weren't that crazy--probably because we weren't dead set on any particular item, and we didn't try to beat the crowds just as the stores opened. (Although I have to admit that my mom went out much earlier than I did--at 4:30--and stopped by to pick me up shortly after 6, after my kids were up).

That evening, my brother Jared came down from SLC with his family, and we hung out for a while--the adults mostly chatted and ate. I think the kids ate, but probably not much--they were definitely more interested in playing. And I *think* my dad's sanity survived all the rowdy revels of his grand kids, but I'm not positive about that . . .

Saturday and Sunday morning we spent with Dan's family, hanging out at Sarah's place on Saturday and then attending baby Maggie's blessing on Sunday. She sure is a sweet baby--and still so tiny! It's almost hard to believe she's real, she's so delicate and doll like. My kids are both big fans. I spent a considerable amount of time on Saturday holding the baby (I'd forgotten how much I like newborns . . . it almost makes me want another one, until I look at Evelyn and realize that I need to let my baby grow up a little more first!). I was a little worried that Evelyn would be jealous--she's quite jealous when I hold Andrew and usually tries to yell at him and push him away from me. Surprisingly, she wasn't--mostly, she just wanted to pat the baby and kiss her.



Andrew was likewise smitten and kept wanting to hold her. But then, he was like that with Evelyn too, when she was small--now that she's a little older, he's no longer so enamored with her!

No comments: