Andrew is generally such an energetic, active little boy that he catches me off guard with occasional glimpses of sensitivity. The other day, as we were sitting down to lunch, he started talking to me about a star, and got so choked up and emotional that I couldn't understand him. I calmed him down and made him start over. This is what emerged:
"When we were at your race [the 5k from a week or so ago] I made friends with one of the stars in the sky. But then he disappeared and now I'll never see him again!" Followed by, of course, more tearing up.
With some difficulty, I resisted the urge to laugh, and reassured Andrew that the same stars were in the sky here in Cedar City. But who knew that my son was so imaginative? Or so sentimental?
Andrew also shows an alarming tendency to manipulate language to his own ends (something that alternately amuses and horrifies me: what will he be like in 12 years?). We've been having some issues with him cutting the covers off of his paperback books, so we've laid down the law: you don't rip/cut/tear books. And paper is the only thing you're allowed to cut up. So, when Andrew presented me yesterday with the cover of a coloring book that he had just cut off, I was more than a little angry.
Me: "Andrew, what did you do? Why did you cut the cover off? You know that you're only supposed to cut paper!"
Andrew: "But the cover was paper!"
I had to laugh at that. And I realized that we also need to be a little more explicit with our little literalist.
No comments:
Post a Comment