Monday, June 15, 2009

Evelyn updates

This has been a somewhat momentous week for Evelyn. She is slowly but surely moving towards actually walking--at least a couple of times in the last few days she has stood independently (granted, not for more than a second or two--but she was definitely upright on her own for a measurable amount of time).

Another event has more to do with her mom than with Evelyn herself--after being introduced to cloth diapers by a friend of mine, I think we're going to try switching her over. In the long term, we would not only be a little gentler on the planet (which is nice), but this would cost significantly less than disposable diapers. (And for those of you who think that dealing with poopy diapers is significantly grosser--it's not actually that bad. And besides, were you aware that most disposable diapers are also supposed to be dumped out before being disposed of? It's true: it says so right on one of our boxes. Not that I've ever done that.) Anyway, Evelyn will shortly be joining the ranks of the fuzzy bottomed babies.

The final update, unfortunately, is not entirely positive. Evelyn went to the doctor's last week and was diagnosed with yet another ear infection. Since this makes #5 since January, almost all of them in the same ear, we now have an appointment with an ENT next week to talk about getting tubes in her ears. Poor baby. (This might, however, explain her abysmal sleeping habits. At 13 months, she's still waking up an average of two times a night.)

3 comments:

Topsy said...

So sorry about the ears!

megandjon said...

I am sorry about her ear infections too. My little neice had near constant ear infections, and the tube surgery didn't help her, but then when she could have her adnoids out, that finally helped her. I hope just the tubes will work for Evelyn!

Also, we do cloth diapers, and we love it! Good luck! If you have any questions at all (I had tons when I first started) feel free to ask!

John and Megan said...

Hopefully tubes will make a big difference for the little girl, and then she'll be able to sleep through the night. And, good luck to you with the cloth diapers. I've thought about it on multiple occasions, and have chickened out each time. But I do have multiple friends who love going it. I'm sure you'll pull it off swimmingly.