So we've tried to come up with alternate entertainments. I bought a huge lot of cookie cutters cheap on craigslist, so we took them over to Jeni's on Wednesday and made horse, elephant, rhinoceros, crab, octopus, kangaroo, worm, and other random assorted animal cookies.
Evelyn and Andrew decided to create their own entertainment by scattering my recycling pile all over the room (all the accumulated detritus from a semester of teaching and writing). I guess it's time to actually recycle the pile.
We (I mean, I) have been scouting craigslist and other online sites for cheap deals on furniture, seeing as how we'll need to furnish a house shortly and we have (aside from beds) little to no furniture. We thought we'd scored a deal sometime back on an entertainment center (the sellers even offered to deliver it when they moved). We were all set to receive it last Sunday evening, only to have the sellers call and tell us they needed to pay us back--the entertainment center broke when they tried to move it! So I guess it's good we didn't move it ourselves.
This week, I scored a cute little dresser set for a little girl. Then, however, we had to figure out how to transfer it. Luckily, Dan's aunt and uncle were in town and kindly offered us the use of their truck to transport it. It's currently sitting in the garage, where it will stay, pending our move.
We seem to be in a kind of wierd limbo just now--we're ready to move on (even Andrew keeps asking when we're moving), but we're not quite so close to our moving date to start packing full time. So, I've been desultorily packing a few boxes every day or so (mostly books, so far). I've been cleaning out the closet in my old room upstairs, which works out fairly well since there are toys in the room, which keep Andrew and Evelyn occupied while I sort through old letters, papers, etc. It's been a strangely bittersweet process, one that takes me much longer than it should because I keep reading through things as I decide whether to discard or keep. I boxed up my old journals (I kept a journal faithfully all through high school and up until my mission, writing almost every day). I'm a fan of keeping journals--that's part of the reason I blog so regularly--but I'm not such a big fan of re-reading old journals, particularly ones filled with adolescent angst and uncertainty. There's something about hearing my own voice in my head that takes me back fifteen years. Never mind that I'm thirty-something, married, with children and a successful degree. All of a sudden I feel gawky and inadequate. I wish someone could have told me, back then, that I would feel much more comfortable in my own skin as I aged, that my looks would actually improve (I found a bunch of pictures from the end of my mission, after I'd put on 20 lbs and stopped wearing makeup or really doing my hair, and was horrified by how terrible I looked). I suppose I shouldn't feel so sorry for my old self--since, after all, I think I was generally pretty happy, and I wouldn't be who I am today without coming through all that--but I can't reread some of my old journals and letters without cringing, particularly the parts that talk about boys. In some respects I can't believe how naive I was--in others, I have that same kind of reaction (torn between fascination and horror) that I have for television shows and movies where the geeky guy or girl throws him or herself at someone who so obviously would never give them the time of day. It can be pretty painful, reading about all those romantic hopes, and remembering, with sudden, unforgivable clarity, how that particular episode worked out and cringing internally. I'm glad I'm past all that.
I'm also glad that I'm almost done packing up things in that closet, so I don't have to keep reliving unwelcome episodes from the past! Of course, fairness compels me to admit that it isn't all bad--I found my old honors portfolio and it was interesting to see what things I thought were noteworthy from my college career. I found the transcript of the talk I wrote for the honors graduation (boring, but I remember the occasion). I found copies of an essay that won a big essay contest at BYU my senior year, and was actually quite impressed with what I'd written. And I found a handful of old wedding announcements that made me smile to think about the people in them. And, of course, I found the "Cinderella" shoes I wore for my own wedding--one memory from the past that I hope I never forget.
3 comments:
Evelyn looks so cute in the swing. I just love her two top teeth. They are so nicely spaced that she has a smile with character. Love you little girl!
I wanna see the cinderella SHOES!
It's funny to read about your journals b/c my brother-in-law recently brought us a box of my old journals that I had apparently left in my in-laws' garage (I'm desperately hoping no one read them!).
I found it equally depressing/embarrassing to hear my preteen/teen voice. I do think it would be fun sometime to pick out some choice passages and share since we both know most everyone we'd be talking about. I'll have to regain my confidence first, though, of course. : )
Post a Comment