Sunday, April 26, 2009

The thoughtfulness of students

I know that title sometimes sounds like an oxymoron (especially for you teachers out there), but it doesn't have to be. I know I've mentioned a few times in this blog what a great group of students I've been able to work with this past year, and it's true. As evidence, last night I went up to campus to collect a late paper, and found an envelope with my name on it, stuffed full of short thank you notes from many of my students. I was really touched by this gesture--not only by the the thoughtfulness, but by the validations of many of the notes. I've put a lot of myself into this program in the last year; it's nice to see that much of that effort was recognized and appreciated by my students. One unintended influence: I have been surprised by the number of female students who have commented that my personal life was an example to them. One student wrote that she'd like to be like me: serve a mission, go to graduate school, have cute kids (her words, not mine!), and possibly teach some day. (She's already on her way--she went into the MTC this last week). I didn't necessarily mean to hold myself up as an example that way, but since apparently students *do* listen to the offhand comments I make about myself and my family, I'm glad that it was (mostly) positive!

No comments: