Sunday, June 29, 2008
Nap time?
Yesterday, Andrew point-blank refused to take his nap. Between 1:30 and 3:00 (when we finally gave up), he got up out of his bed approximately 15 times. The first two times were legitimate reasons: first, he claimed that his diaper was too wet. So I changed him. Then, about two minutes later he was out of his room again claiming to have a poopy diaper. Inspection proved this to be unfortunately only too true, so I changed him again. (We really need to potty train this boy!) Dan thinks that maybe this set the trend for the next hour or so, and Andrew found the freedom of getting up more intoxicating than the bliss of sleeping. I'm hoping this was only a temporary blip and not the beginning of the end of naptime. At any rate, we were both rather frustrated with Andrew at the end of this time (Dan more than me, since I'd gotten to take a nap between times). So we told Andrew that, because he had refused to nap, he had forfeited some things: treats, going outside, and playing on the computer. This declaration had rather comic consequences, since, approximately ten minutes later, while I was on the computer checking email, Andrew came up to me and said, "Mommy, go to pbskids." (Yes, Andrew has discovered the joys of online gaming--so far limited to pbskids.org and Fischer-price's alphabet game. Andrew doesn't know yet that most of the games he likes are actually "educational." I think this--and his penchance for Super Why on TV--are responsible for the fact that, at 2.5, Andrew can recognize all of his upper-case letters. According to a developmental chart on the PBS website, not that many two year olds can do this. Not that we're bragging or anything.) At any rate, I had to tell Andrew that he couldn't play computer games because he hadn't taken a nap. So Andrew announced, "I need to take a nap!" He raced into his room, climbed in his bed, and then emerged about thirty seconds later saying triumphantly that he had napped and was ready to play games. Hardly. Dan and I both laughed, and then explained that he hadn't been in his room long enough to sleep, so that didn't count as a nap. Undeterred, Andrew proceeded to repeat this routine five or six times during the afternoon--specifically, every time we told him he a) couldn't play computer games or b) couldn't go outside, because he hadn't napped. He is a pretty funny kid.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The trick will now be to see whether or not he remembers the consequences and is more cooperative later. Eowyn stopped napping quite early, at least by 3, and I wish she hadn't. I remember that Rebecca Dew got her kids to nap until they were 5, she really was an amazing woman. And, it seems all kids nowadays know about online gaming, there's just no way to stop it.
Post a Comment