Sunday, June 01, 2008

Alliterative Andrew

I was proud to discover today that Andrew may have inherited some of my penchant for words. He was holding Evelyn and asked me about a burp cloth I had just picked up. I explained what it was for, and then, looking thoughtful, Andrew responded, "big boys have burp cloths to burp babies." A rather nice piece of alliteration for an almost two and a half year old.

After a fairly uneventful week (from Andrew's point of view, anyway--who wants to stay home all the time?), Andrew finally got to go out and play this weekend. Dan took Andrew to Salt Lake on Saturday for a joint celebration of Teddy Eves' baby blessing and his big brother Jasper's birthday celebtation. Since Evelyn is under doctor's orders not to go out in public or to large gatherings for at least another month, she and I stayed home. Dan and I both had some illusion that I'd be able to get more sleep if Andrew wasn't around. I did get a little bit of sleep, but not as much as I'd expected--Evelyn decided that she needed to make up for lost time by eating every two hours most of the day (and since a feeding takes her a good 30-45 minutes, that didn't leave much time before she started over again). At least it was quiet!

Dan and Andrew stopped at Sarah's place for most of the morning, since the festivities weren't scheduled to start until 4 pm. Andrew immediately headed off to find Katie and lost no time in embracing his inner "princess." I think the pink sunglasses are a particularly nice touch.


The group had lunch at Red Robin where, from all accounts, everyone acquitted him or herself well, and Andrew demolished a plate of macaroni and cheese.




After naps, they headed to Jason and Liza's house for the planned bash. The event was well attended and Andrew enjoyed himself running around with all the kids. Dan says it was the first time he'd seen his cousin Dave in about ten years, and the first time he'd seen all of Uncle Phil's kids together in five years (the last time being, we think, at our wedding). All in all, a nice reunion for the family. (Sarah reports that Dan got to enjoy his visit with his cousin in part because she got saddled with the babysitting of Andrew--but she didn't seem to mind too much!) They arrived home a little past bedtime, tired, but clearly pleased with themselves. I could tell Andrew had enjoyed himself since the remnants of his last several meals had left tell tale marks around his mouth.

Today was another gathering of Uncle Phil's side of the family, this time to celebrate baby Audrey's blessing. Since the blessing was at 2 p.m., right in the middle of Andrew's naptime, we decided the whole event would be much pleasanter if Andrew absented himself, so he stayed home with me while Dan went. We had a quiet afternoon while Dan enjoyed a visit with family and a taco bar. He reports that Audrey is finally starting to look fat, which gives me some hope for Evelyn, who persists in looking absurdly small, although I flatter myself that she's starting to fill out around the face and arms a bit (her legs still look like spindly chicken shanks, however). I took her in to the doctor this week for a follow-up visit, and he said she was looking good. We'll go back in another two weeks to make sure that she really is gaining weight and flourishing.

1 comment:

Kelsie said...

Rosalyn ... this is Kelsie, from the old days (i.e. high school). A couple days ago, I thought of you and wondered where you are, so I googled you. I found--of course--lots of research and scholarly news, but also a comment you had left on someone else's blog, which led me to yours.

What a cute little family you have. And your tiny new baby is a doll! I didn't know you were back in Provo. We recently made our blog private, but I can send you an invitation if you email me: kelsiehall@gmail.com

I hope all is well--and so nice to "see" you again. :)