Sunday, May 28, 2017

Summer!

 This week was the start of summer for our kids--Wednesday was the last day of school. (I missed most of it, though, because my publicist asked if I'd come to a librarian meeting in SLC with one of the sales reps for Random House. It was fun to meet a bunch of librarians and sign some books, but since I drove up and back the same day it also made for a long day!)

We've been trying to take advantage of summer: we put in a garden on Thursday. Oliver desperately wants watermelon, so we'll see how the one we planted grows.

The kids got to play at the park with friends on Thursday, and on Friday, Evelyn and Oliver really wanted to take their new birthday scooters on the trail in Canyon Park. (Of course, as you can see from the picture, that means the scooters got carried most of the time).

The family hike turned out unexpectedly dramatic. Andrew really didn't want to go, so we finally said, "Fine, stay home," but no one was really happy about that. When we got home, we found a note on the door that said, "I need some alone time. Please don't come look for me." When a cursory search of the house failed to turn him up, his mother (uh, me) started to worry. I'd driven around for 5-10 minutes when Dan called to tell me he'd been here the whole time (hiding in a closet). Not something I hope to experience again soon!

Saturday we helped clean the church, then went to St. George to swim at Sand Hollow, which has a fantastic pool. The kids had a great time and Dan and I didn't hate it, which is always a win when it comes to swimming. We met up with Bubby and Poppy for "linner" at Black Bear diner then took the scenic way home, up through Dammeron Valley and Escalante.

After we got home, we had another hour before bedtime and decided to try frisbee golf on campus--the weather was glorious. But I'm not sure we'll be doing that again any time soon because Oliver doesn't like taking directions, and kept throwing his frisbee into the street/parking lot/you name it. When his frisbee landed in the parking lot, I told him and Dan told him to let Dan get it for him. He refused--and he and Andrew nearly got hit by a car! That was enough excitement for one evening.

A few pictures to catch up for the month:

Evelyn, after the color run. (Andrew, to his everlasting disappointment, had strep that day and couldn't go).

 My almost successful attempts to make macarons. They are so hard to get right! Some day.

 The only picture I took of Evelyn at her birthday celebration.

 Catching up with Jared's family while Jeni was in town. (Not the best picture, but it was fun to be with everyone!)

Aunt Nellie and Aunt Verona at my signing last week. It took us a while to figure out the selfie. :P

No comments: