Sunday, May 01, 2016

Tenure Tea party

By far the biggest event this week was the celebratory tenure tea party we threw for Dan on Monday afternoon. We spent much of the weekend prepping for it--and I spent all of Monday morning cutting out sandwich shapes for the tea sandwiches. (Good thing I love Dan!)

Trisha was the brainchild behind this, and we could not have done it without her help--she assembled all the teacups and trays (basically, everything pretty in the pictures we owe to Trisha). We were very sorry she had to miss it, as she was away on an important service mission in Mexico.

Dan's colleagues seemed to enjoy it, though most of them were not sure what to expect. The most frequent comment was, "Wow! This looks amazing." Several of them had never had tea before, and most seemed to enjoy it--the cranberry grape punch we had simmering in a crockpot with a cinnamon stick seemed to be the favorite. Also, the lemon scones, but those are always a hit.

Oliver, "helping" us set up. 

Drinks--Bubby let us use her nice china. (The tulips were from our yard).

 Food table (lilacs from the bush in our neighbor's yard that hangs over our fence).




 Ty Redd, practicing his pinky lift.

 Barb and Rhonda.



I think a lovely time was had by all. We did over plan a bit--but the kids weren't upset at all to have leftovers.

The rest of the week was pretty standard, though Thursday wound up being a little crazy: I had my final exam in the morning, and the kids and I had dentist appointments in the afternoon, and the departure from routine meant I completely forgot the kids had piano lessons that day too. Oops.

Friday, Oliver and I celebrated my first Friday not teaching in 3.5 months by driving down to St. George. I'd thought to do some shopping for me, but of course Oliver had other plans. So he got ice cream for lunch and we ended up at the park. 



Yesterday, Dan spent most of the time at commencement activities. The kids and I cleaned, went to the Kite Flight for reading event that the school district hosts (didn't stay long, because of rain), and then Andrew went to play with a friend while Evelyn and Oliver played nicely and let me work on my presentations for a conference next week. Evelyn got to go to a movie party at a friend's house last night--a rare late night event--and was thrilled. Andrew was less thrilled, because it meant he was in bed before Evelyn was.

All in all, a good, if busy!, week.

No comments: