We don't have a lot to report from last week--mostly, we put our heads down and worked. It's the last week of classes, however, so we have finals this week and then we're FREE! (Well, sort of. Dan is teaching summer school and I have a nearly 400 page novel to finish revising. And then write another one.)
The highlight of the week was probably going to the dinner at the college put on to honor recent tenure awardees. The food was okay, but we enjoyed the company (we were at a table with Poppy and the university president and his wife, who are in our ward). We brought the kids, too, but had the forethought to bring entertainment for them: Oliver played my kindle and the older kids read while the various deans gave their speeches. We had a minor mishap when I couldn't figure out how to turn down the volume on the game Oliver wanted to play (Andrew helped), and Oliver decided he needed to go to the bathroom before Dan's department chair (J. Ty Redd) had finished saying nice things about him, so I missed the end of that speech. But we're very proud of Dan and all his hard work.
We spent the weekend cleaning the house (a deep clean for the kids' rooms, more general everywhere else) and prepping for Dan's "T" (for tenure) party tomorrow for his colleagues. As soon as I'm done here, I'm off to iron some white tablecloths for the event. (Mom, you can stop laughing now. I do know how to iron--even if I didn't know what an iron was when I was Andrew's age.)
Today we had a lovely dinner with Robert (Trisha is out of town, saving the world--that is, helping Dr. Snow perform eye surgery in Mexico). The kids especially liked the frappes--7-UP with sherbet in it.
Dan and I both taught church today, and Oliver made my sharing time interesting by "helping" me. That is, while I tried to talk to junior primary, he stood behind me and used my chalk to write his name on the board, making all the kids giggle. Senior primary was impressed with the food coloring/bleach analogy for the atonement--luckily, I'm married to a chemist who explained beforehand that this works better with red dye, due to it's greater pH, than with blue dye, which I'd been trying (and failing) to make work. So--now you know.
1 comment:
I have to say it, that's a handsome man you married! Nice, too. That Evelyn, what a ham. Love them both.
Post a Comment