Sunday, June 14, 2015

Reunioning

I apologize for how late the post is this week--I was just sitting down to write when Oliver woke up crying, with a familiar rasping cough. By the time I got to him, he'd worked himself up so much (I hate croup--it's so hard for those poor little lungs to work right) that he puked. By the time we got him cleaned up, steamed up, nebulized, and back to sleep, it was much, much later.

But aside from tonight's incident, it's been a good week.

We started swimming lessons on Monday. I signed Oliver up for a mom and me class, but we were the only ones who signed up, a fact I didn't discover until we'd shown up at the pool in our swim gear. They were nice to us and suggested we buy a summer pass (cheap for faculty and faculty dependents) and let us use the pool during lessons anyway. One of the instructors even showed me a few things to help teach Oliver to swim, not that Oliver has any interest in them.

Andrew's doing swim team this summer and Evelyn's doing well in her level three class. I just wish the water weren't so dang cold.

Thursday afternoon we headed down to SG for the bi-annual Jasper Eves reunion. Tony's wife Jaye and Cindy did a great job organizing everything: Thursday we played fun games, enjoyed a pot luck dinner, and then (I hear) there was some awesome karaoke (Oliver and I were back at the hotel by then). We also celebrated Phil and Karen's 50th anniversary, an impressive achievement.






Friday's festivities included the orange ball golf tournament for the men: 6:30 a.m. tee time. The kids and I went for a walk, then hung out at the condo with Sarah, Bubby and kids before going to the children's museum.











The afternoon included lunch, more games and for dinner, a dutch-oven cookoff (we brought salad cause we're cool like that) and pies for Poppy's birthday.

Saturday started early with a 5K run in the heat. Andrew and I ran most of it, very middle-of-the-packish. I'd hoped to run a little more, but I couldn't leave Andrew since he had no idea what the route was. He was thrilled to be the first under-15 back. We wore mustaches the whole time--somewhere there's a lovely picture of me, mustachioed and drenched in sweat.

We spent the morning cooling off, watching the kids play in the splash pad and at the river. Dan and I had to run back to the hotel to check out (and shower). We took Oliver with us.

But probably the highlight was Saturday after lunch, when Bubby and Poppy put together a slide show of Jasper and Edit (Robert's parents) and they, along with Dan, Sarah and Aaron, shared memories of them. I'm sorry I never got to know them--I think Edith was at our wedding, but that's the only time I met them--but I'm so glad that their memories will be alive and well in their grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and I love that my kids have the chance to be great friends not only with their cousins, but with their extended family as well.

No comments: