Early in the week, I took my kids to a Greenshow performance. The theme was Scotland, but I think my kids were more interested in their tarts--and Evelyn was mo re interested in dancing around with the small mob of girls who were present.
My mom came down on Tuesday so we could go to Tuacahn's performance of the Little Mermaid. We went three years ago when they did it last--Evelyn was so little she scarcely remembers it--and thought it was just as good, if not better, than last time. The costuming was spectacular. And the plot is a little less reprehensible than the original (Ariel does a better job reconciling with her father and saving herself), if still a little thin (a common problem of musicals).
I realized we don't let our kids out often enough when Evelyn, after watching the fireworks at the end of the performance, turned to me and said, quite loudly, "Mommy, now I know how fireworks are made!" I don't know if she'd ever seen some before.
On Wednesday, we went to a matinee performance of Sense and Sensibility which was wonderful. I love Jane Austen, and this performance was so well done. (I might have a tiny crush on Edward Ferrars). The costuming, pacing, acting was all lovely. It made me remember that shows don't have to put on big spectacles to be riviting.
And on Thursday, gearing up for Dan's birthday (this Friday!), Trisha graciously watched our kids while I took Dan down to SG for a performance of Spamalot. Although not quite Broadway calibre, we both laughed a lot. Anyone familiar with (and fond of) Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail would probably have done the same.
Friday, Andrew was supposed to have a swim meet but backed out of it, and we let him (not especially wanting to spend the afternoon in the SG heat). Instead, I had a lovely chat with my friend Sally from high school (they're in town for a family reunion).
Saturday, I had a mini writer's retreat with my critique group--now I actually have a plot for my next novel! And Andrew did what he's been begging to do for weeks: he and his friends had a lemonade stand. They also sold Texas sheet cake (thanks to Dan) and otter pops (courtesy of his friend). Thanks largely to the generosity of strangers (someone gave them a $20 and told them to keep the change), they made a lot more money than I expected--something in the neighborhood of $60. Of course, by the time they paid their helpers and split the remains three ways, they made about $16 a piece. Not bad, for a homemade effort.
Unfortunately, now they want to do it again.
As for the other drama--well, perhaps infected by the day's success and with money burning a hole in his pocket, Andrew took off for campus to find something to spend his money on and neglected to tell us where he was going--which meant he was 45 minutes late getting home and Dan had to go out and search for him. (Which also meant his second grounding in a week).
The other drama incident also involved Andrew. On Thursday, I told him he couldn't ride his bike to Main Street with his friends (who are older and have looser restrictions). He fumed for a minute and then wanted me to drive him there immediately--I couldn't, because Oliver was asleep. Still, Andrew obediently did not follow his friends, so I told him we could go when Oliver woke up. But then, on our way there, Andrew spotted one of his friends riding his bike down the street and wanted to stay with them. I obligingly dropped him off (reminding him that the house was going to be locked and he'd have to wait for us to come back if he came home early) and took Evelyn and Oliver for the promised treat (snow cones).
I was horrified, fifteen minutes later, to find a sweaty and distressed Andrew by my side in the snow cone line. His friend, as it turned out, hadn't stayed home and Andrew got "freaked out" and so rode his bike to catch us (way out of his regular limits, I might add). I felt bad for him--he was clearly scared--and I was grateful nothing had happened to him on his way. But he did get grounded from his bike for two days.
These last are a couple of videos of Oliver: practicing his budding jumping skills and animal noises.
No comments:
Post a Comment