After my overly long post last week, this week's will be short and sweet.
(I hope. Brevity isn't always my strong suit in writing. Just ask Dan, who's been laughing at me as I triumphantly recount each new 1,000 words I cut from the book I'm writing. I'm *almost* down to a respectable number).
To be honest, I don't remember much from the first part of the week. The kids played with friends and rode bikes, Evelyn and Andrew both had swimming in the morning, Oliver napped in the afternoon (except for the one day that friends came over during nap time--not sure that will be repeated anytime soon).
Dan started teaching summer classes, which always keeps him busy. And I tried to catch up on laundry before we headed up north again. Only a short trip this time, to spend the 4th with Sarah and her family.
We had a pretty low-key Fourth of July.
We watched a neighborhood parade.
We had drinks and waffle fries at Chik-Fil-A (one of the few places open with good ice, as Sarah put it) and got to meet the cow.
This is Oliver's face when the waitress brought out balloons for the kids. Apparently he likes them.
We spent the rest of the day hanging out in Sarah's back yard and then enjoying a terrific dinner: Chinese salad, grilled corn, grilled chicken, dutch-oven potatoes, watermelon, and more.
My kind of Fourth--good food, family, and not too much fuss. Of course, we might be the only curmudgeonly parents left in America who don't let our kids stay up late for fireworks. But then, Evelyn and Oliver both fell asleep on the drive back to my parents' house (at about 6:30 p.m.) and Andrew forfeited his opportunity because of a few too many tantrums during the day.
Maybe next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment