Sunday, February 16, 2014

A little bit of love

Naturally, the biggest event of the week was Valentine's day. Evelyn spent most of the week counting down: "only three more days till Valentine's day!" The other two didn't seem quite as excited by it--Oliver, of course, was clueless, and Andrew's class was more focused on their grandparent's program Friday than on Valentines (in fact, they had their Valentine's party on Thursday instead).



Andrew did a nice job in his program. But I was most impressed with their teacher, because it was clear she'd spent a lot of time and effort working with the kids. I helped her decorate the gym Thursday after school (Evelyn helped, too; Andrew's help apparently involved taking Oliver all over the school and playground--I thought they were just wandering out in the hall!) with another of the class moms--and our little effort was only a drop compared to what she put in. Thank goodness for dedicated teachers!




The kids' Valentines turned out okay, despite a stressful assembly. Every year I promise myself we'll take things easy, and every year I find myself foiled. This time, it was Andrew who insisted that he wanted to make his Valentines instead of buying them. I picked what I thought was pretty straightforward (and non-candy, which was important to me, since they get so much candy already), but of course, it still took much longer than expected. I don't have pictures, since they're all on Dan's iPad, so you'll have to imagine 45 colored squares with plastic dinosaurs attached, reading "Valentine, you're Dino-mite!"

In other news: Evelyn has lost her second lower front tooth--and now her two top front teeth are *both* loose. She's going to be sporting a very interesting look in another week or so.


And we've picked up on a couple more words from Oliver, including: "booh" (book) and "nana" (banana). I am still being hailed, with great delight, as "dad-ee!"

Saturday we took advantage of the continued unseasonably warm weather to ride bikes up the Canyon Park trail--and then play on the playground afterward. We even ran into some acquaintances of Bubby and Poppy (the connection was discovered after the husband, Mr. Lefevre (?), observed that Oliver was talented at observing rocks in the wood chips and "he must be a geologist!")

















No comments: