Sunday, January 26, 2014

Frozen

Last weekend, for MLK day, we decided to take advantage of our National Parks pass to go hiking in Zion National Park. We spent the morning in SG: Dan and I attended a temple session while the kids played with cousins at the condo, followed by lunch at In-N-Out with Sarah and family.

Then we headed to the park--only to discover that it was a fee free weekend and we didn't need our pass anyway. Luckily, despite the fact the temperatures were very mild for January (50-60 degrees), the park wasn't too crowded. We followed the Watchtower hike, one we've never done before, and the kids were real troopers about it, despite the 2 hour hike. We had some spectacular views of the park, crossed a frozen waterfall, and generally enjoyed ourselves. (With the possible exception of Oliver who didn't like that he had to be carried in a pack). The only mishap occurred on the way back to the visitor's center, when Evelyn tripped on the trail and skinned her knees pretty thoroughly.

Accidents aside, it makes me happy to think that we're raising a new generation of kids who enjoy hiking and appreciate the outdoors.

The rest of the week passed pretty quietly: Dan went to work, I taught my classes, the kids went to school, Oliver puttered around the house (and this morning managed to once again find the toilet unattended: this time he filled it with all the shampoo bottles, etc., from the bathtub).

I did have a minor freak-out Tuesday after my class; after reading a response one of my students wrote about how isolated he was, I was sort of convinced that he might be deeply troubled. This persisted until I talked to the student services the next day (the student was already on their radar, but not for the same reasons) and then talked to the student himself--amazing how actual conversations can help humanize people!

I fell down on my picture-taking responsibilities this week, but I did get this gem (what Oliver thinks underwear are for, apparently):


No comments: