Of course, Andrew's baptism was by far the most significant event of the week--and we are so very proud of him: for making this decision himself, for reading his scriptures and working hard to understand the covenant he was making with God. Today, he stood up to bear his testimony about how he felt peaceful during his baptism and he knew that was because Heavenly Father wanted him to understand what he was doing and that it was right. He was such a funny, solemn little kid up there that he about burst my mama-heart into a million tiny pieces.
Our stake does late baptisms, so his baptism began at 5:00 p.m. His dad baptized him, with his grandfathers as witnesses. Afterward, we hosted all the family who came (my youngest brother and his four kids; my sister and her three kids; Dan's sister with her four kids, and both sets of grandparents) for a potato-bar dinner. Andrew's choice. There's a lot more I could say about his baptism but I won't do it here because this is still a public forum and much of what I felt was private.
New Year's day, we drove down south with Robert and Trisha. The plan was to hike in Grafton, but the road was muddy and impassable, so we opted for a trail just outside Zion National Park, with beautiful views of some of the cliff faces. The kids are getting to be pretty good troopers about hiking--except for Oliver, who pretty much just wanted to climb out of the harness and/or pull my hair. Afterward, we had lunch in the parking lot: peanut butter sandwiches for the kids and bahn mi (a Thai style sandwich) for the adults.
Of course, now that I'm writing all this, I remember that our week *wasn't* perfect. Oliver was up half the night on New Year's--with croup (for the second time this winter). We took him to the doctors Thursday morning and got a steroid injection and he did much better after that.
Over the break, Oliver has also discovered chocolate. Once he got over being sick, he perfected the art of running after anyone who carried a small, shiny-wrapped package (usually chocolate) and begging for a taste.
Some pictures of the kids, just because I can.


No comments:
Post a Comment