Sunday, November 10, 2013

Novembering

We've hit that momentary lull between Halloween and Thanksgiving, before everything goes crazy in the rush to finish the semester and get ready for Christmas.

Maybe that's why I can't remember anything from this week.

Or maybe we really didn't do much out of the ordinary.

School, work, writer's group. Check.

We have been enjoying some lovely mild weather, though. Oliver loves it--the second any door opens he's there, begging to be let out. So sometimes we do, even though that means constantly watching him (otherwise he tries to eat grass, sticks, small rocks, etc.).

On Monday, we went to visit a sweet neighbor who was in the hospital after a fall. The kids like her because she always gives them suckers when we visit; I like her because she's an interesting old lady (she's 90). We didn't stay long because Oliver was ready for bed, but I was glad we went because she seemed so pleased to see us, especially the kids.

Saturday I helped the youth in the ward host their annual meal for the older folks in our ward (I think 70 and older? And yes, our ward has enough old people to do that. I think there were 70+ people on the invitation list). The kids helped Bubby and Poppy take some of our old garden trash to the dump. And in the afternoon, Andrew and Dan went on what we hope becomes a tradition of parent-child "dates" (one-on-one time). They went bowling. Dan won, but Andrew insists that he was close (and he was, the first game).

So, no big events. Just little things to remember, like:

Oliver's newest words: dok (sock), ni-ni (night-night). He also finally figured out clapping (see video below).

Andrew decided *not* to do Reflections this year (hallelujah! Formatting last year's entries were a pain). Evelyn did enter a picture of a princess with a heart-shaped head who wants to be a peacock princess (her new favorite animal).

Oliver has begun attempting eating with a spoon (here, with some pudding). It's not going so hot, but he loves it.



Evelyn got invited to a party on Friday. She came home so excited and told me, "I'm going to a party tomorrow!" She was so positive that I assumed the little girl who invited her told her the day--and I never even checked. I just looked at the time.

So all day yesterday, Evelyn was looking forward to this party. And then 4 o' clock rolled around and Dan and Andrew left and we walked Evelyn to her party.

Only no one answered. Their neighbor told us he thought they were out of town.

We went back home and read the invitation more closely--the party is on Wednesday. But poor Evelyn was crushed--after waiting all day, no party. So I let her watch Aladdin. And Oliver tried to help her.


This is what happens when Dan isn't home. We turn on ABBA and the kids get it on to "Dancing Queen."
 

More dancing--and Oliver clapping.
 

No comments: