My mother-in-law commented today that it seems like we've spent more time out of town than at home this summer--and I think she might be right.
The kids (all three of them) started swim lessons last week, because that was the first time we could fit in a M-Th block two weeks in a row. Andrew may be the only one to really benefit from the lessons, though. Evelyn's repeating the same class she's had twice before (and passed) because they won't allow her into the next level until she's six. She does enjoy her class, though. And Oliver? We're doing the mommy-and-me class because I figured that would be easier than trying to keep him away from the water for the half hour his siblings are in class. He seems bemused by the whole process more than anything. He likes splashing, refuses to float on his back (arches his back, pulls his feet up, grabs my swim suit . . .), and otherwise hangs out during our class.
We've been trying to enjoy the bounty of our garden, even if this means trying out creative squash recipes (this week it was squash in a quiche and squash cakes--which Oliver devoured).
My mom came down Wednesday for a post-birthday celebration. She and Trisha went to see Love's Labour's Lost (which Dan and I saw the previous week), we made dinner, and then headed down to Tuacahn with Andrew to see Mary Poppins. It was interesting to see how they've updated the story I remember from Disney: most of the songs I remember were there, but the chronology and context was different (some altered to fit the stage, but most altered to make a more coherent story). Mr. and Mrs. Banks play a much bigger role in this story--and I liked that. Andrew most liked the fireworks, which he has limited (maybe nonexistent?) experience with, as we haven't (yet) let the kids stay up that late on the Fourth. Maybe next year.
Thursday, after swim lessons and lunch, I packed up the kids and once again headed north. (If this line sounds tired, it's because that's how I feel typing it. I love the people we see at the other end of our treks, but we've done this jaunt almost every other week all summer--and driving all those hours without Dan can get exhausting). I spent much of Friday at a retreat for the Segullah staff, which was delightful--in the three years I've been on the (all-volunteer) staff, I've met some really amazing people who inspire me on a regular basis.
Saturday, we had the chance to attend my niece, Emi's, baptism. It was a lovely ceremony--even if Emi did have to get baptized twice (her toe popped up). The kids especially liked running around with their cousins afterwards. Oliver, I think, mainly liked the strawberries from the post-baptism brunch.
I found I missed my husband, my bed, my house, and came home Saturday night instead of Sunday as I'd originally planned. This went pretty smoothly (my exhausted baby slept for 2/3 of the drive), except that I'd bought the kids strawberry milk in Scipio (since Dairy Queen, my original option, was closed--it closes at 7 p.m. Who knew?). Andrew waited until just past Meadow to tell me he really needed to go to the bathroom (those of you familiar with this drive know there is nothing--not even exits--for nearly twenty miles past Meadow). I was scanning the road looking for a good place to turn off when Andrew informed me that he didn't really need a bathroom any more. He'd sort of already gone. Blech.
Luckily, we had a suitcase with some clean underwear and shorts, so he didn't have to stay in his squishy seat for too long. And that reminds me . . . I need to put his laundry in the dryer! Signing off . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment