Okay, technically my titular brush with the law was *last* Sunday, but I forgot to post about it.
We were about 30 minutes from home, and I was thinking about the things we needed to do when we got home in order to be ready for church on time. So naturally, I wasn't watching my speedometer as well as I should have been. Not, that is, until I passed a highway patrolman, looked down at the dashboard in a panic, and realized that I was going nearly 10 miles over the posted limit (which was 75; in my defense, that area shifts back and forth between 75 and 80 frequently and I think it had just shifted back down). I watched in my rear-view mirror as the lights lit up and the patrol car pulled out on the highway. I continued slowing down until it was clear he was coming for me and pulled over.
It's a pretty ignominious feeling, getting pulled over with the car full of kids. Andrew wanted to know, "Why are we stopping?" and "Why is the policeman pulling us over?" After the policeman wrote out my ticket (he did downgrade it to the lowest amount) and let us go, Andrew very helpfully reminded me the rest of the way home not to go too fast . . .
The rest of the week was pretty slow (particularly compared to last week). Of course, the snowstorm on Tuesday meant that we weren't out and about anyway.
I'm ready for spring now--anyone else?
We passed another Oliver landmark this week--10 months! He's come a long way from this scrawny 2 month old (who looks like he's being eaten by Eeyore).
Not sure why he looks so sad and contemplative, but he's a sweet baby. (Incidentally, you'll have to excuse our camera--for some reason it's impossible to get the left side of the photo to focus.)
More Oliver shots. One guess as to what he's doing in this picture--it still makes me laugh every time I see it. (And yes, he was very stinky afterwards).
Evelyn can't quite read yet, though she's getting down the basic principles. Still, she volunteered to "read" Oliver a book. There aren't very many things that make me happier than watching my kids read to each other.
And, of course, a totally gratuitous picture of the fat baby.
The weather warmed up nicely for the weekend--the kids and I went to a ward clean-up yesterday (I was supposed to be in charge of a youth service scavenger hunt but not enough youth showed up) while Dan stayed home with the semi-sleeping baby. I say semi because Oliver's naps have been atrocious the last few days--the longest he's slept has been about 35 minutes. I took him in on Friday to see if he had an ear infection--he didn't, but the PA did say it looked like there was pressure building in his ears. Depending on how tonight goes, we may take him in again tomorrow. Oliver's also settled into a *delightful* sleeping pattern, waking up every night for the last several nights like clockwork: 11:30, 3:00 and 5:00. Isn't he supposed to sleep through the night already? Good thing he's otherwise such a sweet baby.
This next week is the end of the semester--I think we're all looking forward to the change of pace.
1 comment:
Same thing happened to us on the way home from Cedar after Shakespeare Festival last year. I-15 through Iron County...UHP is ridiculous in that territory. $100+ ticket. I almost believe the state needs to make it all one speed limit instead of fluctuating back and forth. That would hurt the revenue stream, though, so no way it'll happen.
Post a Comment