This week feels like a blur--not least because I didn't get as much sleep as I'd like the last couple of nights . . .
Earlier this week, the university hosted their first ever Festival of Excellence. Because the provost's office wanted me to cover the festival for the newsletter I'm editing, I spent much of the day there and Dan and I juggled kids.
Thursday night I went to a book signing with my lovely sister-in-law Lia and her friend Elise--Elise and I edited a collection of essays that Lia compiled and which was recently published by Cedar Fort. I think most of the people who came by were friends of Lia, Elise, or their families, but it was a lot of fun.
Friday after school let out, I took the kids and we drove up to my parents' house to repeat the performance, this time at the King's English in Salt Lake. (I'd heard a lot of good things about this indie bookstore, but I'd never been there before.) This time there was food and the publicist from Cedar Fort showed up--but most of the people who bought books knew at least one of the signers. (It was lovely to see my aunt Dahnelle and my cousin Demitri come by. I can't help wondering what my cousin Mikela--single, no longer affiliated with the LDS church--will make of the copy my aunt bought for her!).
Around the signing, we got to spend some time with grandparents and cousins. It was chaotic, but fun. (Also exhausting: Oliver decided he doesn't like to sleep for sustained amounts of time after 3 a.m.)
Our most exciting cousin moment was sharing a house with our newest cousin, Justin and Lia's baby Abdiel. He and Oliver have a tentative relationship right now: Abdiel tried to crawl over Oliver and he enjoyed poking him with toys. Oliver mostly took it in stride, partly because Abdiel can crawl and he can't, so he made a good captive audience. It's funny to me to watch them, because although Oliver was technically born first, it's clear that Abdiel is way ahead of him in developmental milestones. Personally, I don't mind that Oliver can't crawl yet: we love him at his lumpy stage.
No comments:
Post a Comment