Friday, as we were heading up north to visit my parents (more accurately, my dad, as my mom is out of town visiting my youngest brother) and attend some meetings, Evelyn started complaining that her throat hurt. And her stomach hurt. As she can be a little reactive to perceived wrongs, we weren't sure how seriously to take her--until she did actually yack all over her coat and bag of valentine's candy (from pre-school the day before). We took her to instacare that afternoon (I think we've been to the instacare by my parents' house almost as many times as the one in town) where she was diagnosed with a bacterial throat infection (not strep, but something like it).
And then Saturday night, it was my turn. In fact, I felt so poorly that I spent most of the time at Sarah's house sleeping on her couch (sorry, Sarah!). There were a few positives to the situation: I was sick enough that I went to bed early and missed the (by all accounts) appalling season finale of Downton Abbey. Also, Oliver slept from 10 until 6 (the second time in his life that he's slept 8 hours, and the first that they overlapped with our sleeping habits) so I was able to sleep off most of the fever. Funnily enough, Oliver filled his diaper at about 4 am--loudly enough that he woke up both Dan and I, but he never woke up himself. We figured sleep was more important, so we let him go . . .
Okay, sorry about the long sickness rant. It's been on my mind a lot recently.
Other than that, I did get to go hear one of my favorite authors, Megan Whalen Turner, speak at LTUE , the annual sci-fi/fantasy conference at BYU (although it's morphed into more of a writer's workshop than I remember from my undergrad days). I also got to meet her briefly and she signed all my copies of her books. That was pretty awesome.
The weather was nice enough that we took the kids to the park and Oliver got to ride in a swing for the first time. He's entering into the lumpy stage--where he can stay upright if propped correctly. We sure like him. (Even if he's now sick--he got a steroid shot this afternoon for a croup-like cough.)
Look at the nice widow's peak on the boy!
In other news, Oliver is eight months old now (or 5.5, if you go by adjusted). He weighed in today at 16 lbs, 15 oz--and he's still on the growth chart for 8 month olds.
Here's my pretty girl all gussied up for Valentine's Day--she was determined to represent the hearts in her wardrobe.
Also, apparently I'm a masochist. I don't remember if I volunteered for this last fall or if Andrew volunteered me--but we wound up responsible for "healthy" treats on Valentine's day. Andrew wanted to make biscuits, which I did the morning of V-day (and trying not to cuss because I was worried I wouldn't get everything done on time). We also made chocolate covered strawberries because . . . well, because it sounded festive and pseudo-healthy and, like I said, I'm a masochist . . .
We hope our readers spent a pleasant--and illness free--weekend!
1 comment:
Oooo, those strawberries look tasty! Sorry about the sickness. Hope everyone is better soon
Post a Comment