Sunday, December 16, 2012

In the bleak mid-winter

This has been a rough week--I imagine it has been for most people, after the news of the Connecticut shootings. I don't want to say a lot about that (a lot has already been said), but it's been on my mind the last few days, particularly since my Andrew is the same age as all those poor children. It's heartbreaking. It does make me grateful for my little gang, though, even on days like today when Andrew seems determined to make it hard to be grateful for him. (He spanked his sister tonight because she'd taken her underwear off before putting her pjs on).

Dan and I were both sick today, so we kept everyone home. Dan has some kind of sore throat and I've got something that feels flu-like (chills, aches, etc.). Parenting is hard under the best of circumstances, not to mention when both parents are sick! Hopefully we're over the worst of it.

Yesterday we helped clean the church. I think it's good for the kids to help serve, even if they get in the way more than actually help. (There were several families with little kids yesterday, which helped). Andrew announced afterward that he liked cleaning the church more than going to church.

On Friday, we took Oliver to see one of the occupational therapists from the NICU. (They like to track the babies' development). She said some great things about Oliver--she complimented his fat cheeks and his nice round head and said she could tell I was still nursing. Also, Oliver's right on target for his adjusted age--no developmental problems that she can see so far. All of that was good to hear.

However, because we made a family trip out of the visit and took Evelyn out to lunch afterward, we felt like we needed to do something for Andrew (who was in school). So yesterday, he got to pick his lunch spot. He relented at the last minute and offered to let Evelyn share the lunch with him. He can be sweet when he wants to--moments like this give me hope for him!

Today was Oliver's 6 month birthday! Hard to believe it's already been six months.

Oliver at 2 months (about 36 weeks development)


Oliver today.


1 comment:

Andrea said...

Little Oliver is so cute. I'm glad he is doing so well. He looks so much like your other children. All three beautiful. They are blessed to have you as their mother.